|“||You know large crowds of people make me nervous! You know I can never think of anything to say to them!||”|
Thomas was a sickly and shy boy when he was young. During this time, Thomas and his family resided in Idris, though they visited London for parties, family gatherings, and the Herondale family. Because of his health problems, his family and even close friends kept a very close eye on him and took great care of him.
The smothering amount of attention his family gave him when he was young prompted Thomas to take secret walks in a part of Idris's forest close to their home, beginning from the time he found a small passageway in their garden. He used this time to compose songs and stories.
By the time he was thirteen, he had gotten better, and so he was sent to the Shadowhunter Academy, albeit a year late because of his health problems, and he agreed because he wanted to get away from his sisters who often bossed him around.
At the Academy, Thomas mostly hung around his best friend Matthew Fairchild and his cousin Christopher. There were times when he also followed Alastair Carstairs around. Thomas encouraged James Herondale, the son of his mother's best friend, Tessa Gray, to pal around with them more and, though James said he wanted his and Christopher's company, he disliked Matthew and declined. Eventually, however, James and Matthew got over their issues, and the four boys became friends and have been inseparable since—even after James, Matthew, and Christopher all got expelled. Thomas did not return to the Academy the following year, with his friends all expelled and Alastair having graduated.
Thomas continued his training at the London Institute with James, Matthew, and Christopher. When they were once referred to as "that notorious bunch of hooligan boys" by Lavinia Whitelaw, Matthew and James took to calling their group as Shadowhooligans. At one point, they began renting out a club room at the Devil Tavern for their exclusive use.
Thomas craved solitude and was unnerved by crowds. Among their group of friends, Thomas was the one who grounded them in a way. Thomas is also very kind and emphatic, often seeing the best even in people who hide them.
- ↑ TLH Lightwood snippet — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Nothing but Shadows
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Cast Long Shadows
- ↑ "He looks mostly like his father, but has hazel eyes." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ TLH snippet — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Thomas definitely." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 TLH questions — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Q&A more CLS! — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 More about Thomas — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Will Thomas Lightwood get a love interest?" "Oh, yes. ;)" Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Q&A TLH — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ ultimate monster alastair and thomas post — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Found family tree, a Clockwork Princess extra