The Shadowhunter Chronicles, also known as Shadowhunters, is a young-adult fantasy franchise comprised so far of three series (ten novels as of 2016) and several short stories written by American author Cassandra Clare, along with some companion books, a graphic novel, manga, film, and TV series adaptations.
Each of the stories follow the supernatural conflict between the Shadowhunters, a group of powerful human-angel hybrids, and Downworlders, a society of mythological beings, and their battle against demons.
- The Shadowhunter's Codex
- Shadowhunters and Downworlders
- The Bane Chronicles
- Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
- A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- The Official Mortal Instruments Coloring Book
- City of Bones: The Graphic Novel
- The Infernal Devices: Manga Series
- The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
- The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (game)
- Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments
- Constantin Film currently owns the TV/film rights to most of the Shadowhunter books.
- The Eldest Curses - upcoming trilogy revolving around Magnus Bane, co-written with Wesley Chu;
- The Mortal Instruments graphic novel - being illustrated by Cassandra Jean, currently in the works;
- The Wicked Powers - the trilogy set to wrap up the Shadowhunter Chronicles;
- The Secret Treasons - the planned graphic novel project about the Circle which is currently on hold;
- When asked about the possibility of a project similar to The Bane Chronicles that focuses on Tessa's life after leaving London, Cassandra Clare stated that she was open to writing about it, though not until after The Last Hours, if at all.
In 2003, Clare started working on her first published novel, City of Bones, inspired by the urban landscape of Manhattan. City of Bones was released by Simon & Schuster in 2007 and was adapted into a film that was released on August 21, 2013.
City of Bones became a New York Times bestseller upon its release. City of Ashes and City of Glass completed the trilogy. Clare originally intended to have a spin-off graphic novel follow up the story; her plans for the story built on elements already set up in the trilogy and were mostly similar to how the events of the second half turned out, with Simon Lewis becoming a Shadowhunter at the end of it. The graphic novel didn't work out for her, and the series was instead continued with City of Fallen Angels, announced in 2009 and published on April 5, 2011, the start of a second Mortal Instruments cycle. City of Lost Souls followed and the conclusion, City of Heavenly Fire, was released on May 27, 2014.
In 2009, Clare also announced a new series called The Infernal Devices, a prequel trilogy set in the Victorian era, in the same universe as The Mortal Instruments. The first installment, Clockwork Angel, was released on August 31, 2010, followed by Clockwork Prince, and the last, Clockwork Princess, was released on March 19, 2013.
In 2013, she shared that hoped to get more stories set in the same universe released: The Last Hours, focusing on the children of The Infernal Devices characters, and The Wicked Powers, a trilogy set three years after the end of The Dark Artifices. The Last Hours has since been confirmed, its publication rights acquired by Walker Books, and its first installment, Chain of Thorns, is currently slated for a 2017 publication date. Much like The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices, The Last Hours will interconnect with The Dark Artifices and will also be released alternately.
Co-written with Sarah Rees Brennan and Maureen Johnson, The Bane Chronicles, following the adventures of Magnus Bane, was released in installments in e-book format beginning in 2013, with its print edition published on November 11, 2014 with a bonus story and art by Cassandra Jean for all 11 stories.
Additionally, some of the ideas that would have been used in the spin-off featuring Simon was altered and later used in the following books, particularly the second half of The Mortal Instruments and even The Dark Artifices (for example, Simon's story would have taken place in Los Angeles, and the questions left unanswered in City of Glass were eventually resolved). In 2014, a collection of novellas revolving around Simon and the Shadowhunter Academy, entitled Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, was announced and released in a monthly e-book format beginning on February 17, 2015, with a print edition published on November 15, 2016.
- So far, all of the official book covers for the series have been designed by Russell Gordon, and its photo illustrations done by Cliff Nielsen. Michael Rosamilia designs the interior layout of the books, and the book text of all the main installments have so far all been set with the font Dolly.
- The US/Canada paperback book covers for The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices are being updated and officially replaced with new ones with a more modern look, which will be released in September 2015, while the old/original ones remain hardcovers. These were still designed by Russell Gordon and illustrated by Cliff Nielsen. Cassandra Clare also gave a lot of input for the final cover, such as giving the general direction or vision for the covers, and also picked the models and the poses. The book spines will also line up and form an image (Manhattan for The Mortal Instruments and Blackfriars Bridge for The Infernal Devices) drawn in pen and ink by another artist.
- Alternative US adult covers are also in the works for both series.
- The UK publisher also released new, alternate covers in July 2015. Unlike the US repackages, these did not replace the originals.
- Cassandra Clare draws inspiration from several classical works for her series, namely: Paradise Lost, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations, and Annabel Lee.
- The Shadowhunter Chronicles/Extras
- The Shadowhunter Chronicles/Teasers
- The Shadowhunter Chronicles/Internal editions
- Shadowhunters.com, official site
- ↑ Cassandra Clare first sharing the title on Twitter when asked for a name for the series
- ↑ Cassandra Clare's official site
- ↑ Shadowhunters World: the series's official site
- ↑ Repackaged US covers "that reflected that all these books tied together."
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/87296237199/would-you-ever-write-about-what-tessa-did-during-the
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/19299069111/thank-you-for-everything-your-amazing-my
- ↑ http://gallifreyan-asleth.tumblr.com/post/92271421175/about-the-sword-rune-foreshadowing-in-city-of
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/94500821254/clary-simon-parabatai
- ↑ http://www.cassandraclare.com/faq/how-did-you-go-from-having-decided-to-write-the-mortal-instruments-as-a-trilogy-to-deciding-that-it-would-be-four-books-and-then-six/
- ↑ http://twishort.com/8d6bc
- ↑ http://www.thebookseller.com/news/walker-acquires-new-cassandra-clare-trilogy.html
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/77422013165/walker-acquires-new-cassandra-clare-trilogy-the
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/449412328438902784
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/100427717939/hi-cassie-d-firstly-id-just-like-to-say-that-i-am-a
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/111580259954/city-of-bones-has-a-brand-new-look-usa-today
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/118725350474/so-as-you-all-know-coming-september-1st-the
- ↑ "old covers will be hardcovers. new are paperback." - Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ Tor.com - New Cover Art for Cassandra Clare’s Infernal Devices Trilogy!
- ↑ "I helped create them." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "I picked my favorite poses." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/597891763228037121
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/118790620589/the-mortal-instruments-new-covers-are-being
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/598177494886383616
- ↑ "the new ones do have minor corrections and changes. Also maps and new stuff." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ Yes, and there's a map of London, and spine art. Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Maps of cities with all the book locations illustrated."
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/598173331167322113
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/598175104967831552
- ↑ "Exclusive reveal: New cover of 'City of Bones' by Cassandra Clare" — USA Today
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/113175260614/hey-cassie-ive-read-on-your-blog-that-the-new
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/574987224355356672
- ↑ http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/books/world-exclusive-new-mortal-instruments-book-covers-revealed-657223.html
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/112800650959/lots-of-people-asked-about-the-new-designs-for-the