|The Red Scrolls of Magic|
|Release Date||March 5, 2019|
- Note: This synopsis was released before the announcement that the titles were shuffled and may therefore change.
Magnus Bane, a centuries old High Warlock, has taken possession of one of the great relics of the supernatural world, a powerful spell book of dark magic known as The Book of the White and there are many who want to claim it for themselves.
After the Mortal War where the part-human and part-angel Shadowhunters teamed with the part human-demon Downworlders to fight against the incursion of an army of demons, Magnus and his new lover, the mortal Alec Lightwood celebrate their survival and victory by escaping the supernatural battlefield of New York City by touring the world, but the world won't leave them alone.
- Magnus Bane and Alec Lightwood are the main characters, with POVs from both.
- Characters set to appear, aside from Magnus and Alec, include: Raphael Santiago Tessa Gray, Aline Penhallow, Helen Blackthorn, and Lily Chen.
- The book will begin during Magnus and Alec's Europe trip that was mentioned in City of Fallen Angels. The rest of this installment may also be set during City of Fallen Angels.
- Magnus and Alec's trip to the Louvre is set to be in the book. They are also set to visit the Spiral Labyrinth and meet with Tessa Gray. Tessa will be giving them the "surprising news" that will kick off the book's plot.
- Magnus may reveal knowledge of a sibling or two.
- The book will begin with a Schopenhauer quote: "To desire immortality is to desire the eternal perpetuation of a great mistake."
- The book will be from both Magnus and Alec's point of view.
- Aline and Raphael are set to interact in this book.
- "Alec gets to know Raphael as someone who clearly knows Magnus pretty well." [Alec will get] "to know the Downworlders Magnus cares for and see better from their point of view, which will put him on the path to not only the relationship he and Magnus are going to have, but the man Alec will become. Raphael is at a party the Downworlders are throwing to celebrate the defeat of Valentine, and by attending it Alec can see how under threat the Downworlders felt, and how proud they are to have their own heroes. (A dryad asks Raphael for his autograph. Raphael writes “LEAVE ME ALONE” on a leaf. Alec is amazed to find someone worse at parties than himself.)"
- Alec will meet Lily properly for the first time in this installment.
- Three characters whom Lily has fancied—and has been introduced or named before—will be revealed.
- The series is set to show or explore how Helen and Aline fell in love.
Magnus ached at the thought. It clamored for him to at least give Alec Lightwood a chance. But although Magnus looked nineteen, he was not a fool and not young in love, and hadn't been for a long time. This relationship was likely a lost cause, a temporary fling at best.
He caressed Alec's face and pulled him close as they stood in the middle of the path under the half-moon hidden behind a stream of dark clouds. Their lips pressed together, gently, and he felt an arm around his waist, and the pressure of their bodies squeezing together. Magnus could feel Alec's heart pounding through his shirt, sending soft [...]
The two of them went straight for the bed, kissing and pulling and stumbling over each other, nearly falling over in the process. They tumbled onto the mattress in a tangle and clawed their way toward the headboard, hands in each other's hair, on each other's bodies, stirring each other to incandescent life.
Magnus tore himself away from Alec's lips and yanked futilely at the knots that kept the bedsheet looped around the Shadowhunter's body. "How did you tie this thing on?" he growled.
Alec, lips kiss-swollen and eyes dazed with desire, didn't seem able to respond — he just went for the buttons on Magnus' shirt with shaking fingers before eventually giving up and just tearing the garment apart down the middle, sending buttons flying across the room. Finally, more out of frustration that expediency, Magnus flicked his wrist at the bedsheet as if shooing away a fly and sent the entire thing fluttering somewhere over the Indian Ocean.
Alec raised his head to watch the sheet disappear. When he looked back at Magnus, the warlock was gazing down at him with a deep seriousness in his gold-green eyes. "You spend your entire life looking out and sacrificing for people," Magnus said, and his gentle fingers traced their way along Alec's bare torso, making him shiver. "It's your turn to just lay back and relax …"
- tagged with "malec's first time"
“Uh,” said Alec. “Can you fly a hot air balloon?”
“Of course!” Magnus declared. “Did I ever tell you about the time I stole a hot air balloon to rescue the Queen of France?”
Alec grinned as if Magnus was making a joke, but Marie-Antoinette had actually been quite a handful.
“It’s just,” Alec said thoughtfully, “I’ve seen you try to work your own DVR, and it wasn’t pretty.“ He stood to admire the balloon, which was entirely glamored. As far as the humans sitting on the Eiffel Tower were concerned, Alec was solemnly regarding the open air.
“I’m hardly going to crash the balloon into a chimney,” Magnus protested.
“I’m considering how to protect you if we crash the balloon into a chimney.”
As he moved past Magnus, Alec stopped and pushed a wayward lock of hair off Magnus’s brow. His touch was light, tender but casual, as if Alec did not even really realize he was doing it. Magnus had not even realized his own hair was in his eyes. Magnus ducked his head and smiled. The idea of being protected was strange to him, but he felt like he could get used to it.
He used his chair as a step and climbed onto the swaying platform. The moment he planted both feet on the floor, it felt as if he were standing on solid ground. He offered his hand. "Trust me.”
Alec hesitated, then accepted Magnus’s hand. His grip was strong, and his smile sweet. “I do.”
He followed Magnus, vaulting lightly over the railing onto the platform. They sat down at the table, and the balloon, bouncing like a row boat on the choppy ocean, drifted away unseen from the Eiffel Tower. Seconds later, they were floating high above the skyline as the sprawl of Paris expanded in every direction as far as the eye could see.
“Great,” said a voice from the back of the group. “Because I want to talk to Alexander Lightwood in private.”
Helen Blackthorn stepped away from the crowd and stood, her arms crossed, staring Alec down.
Aline froze, staring. Alec’s first impulse was to run and jump out the window. Then he remembered how high above the ground they were.
Helen herded him into the records room, which jutted out from the side of the Rome Institute so there were windows on all sides, and only one door. Aline followed them. She had gone entirely quiet and was being no help. Leon followed along, giving Alec a little wave.
Helen stood in front of the only exit, and said:
“So, Alec. First you refuse to come to Rome for questioning, then you hightail it out of Venice from the scene of a crime, and head for Rome under your own steam. Rome, which is where our informant Mori Shu told us the cult of the Crimson Hand was headed. That was the last piece of information we received from him, before he was found dead.”
“Are you following me?” Alec asked.
“I don’t have to follow you,” said Helen. “Wherever you go, you leave a trail of dead bodies and collapsed mansions! Where is Magnus Bane? What happened in Venice?”
Helen was clearly about to level several more questions when Aline waved a hand in between them. "Excuse me."
"What!" Helen seemed to notice her for the first time. Their eyes met.
"Hey," said Aline.
There was a momentary pause.
"Hi," said Helen.
More silence followed.
"Sorry," said Alec. "I was too busy getting interrogated to make proper introductions. Helen Blackthorn, this is Aline Penhallow. Aline, this is Helen."
“And I’m Leon,” said Leon. Aline did not even glance at him.
Helen kept staring at Aline. Alec wondered if she was suspicious of her as well.
“Right,” Helen muttered at last. “Anyway, I have questions.”
“I have a question too,” said Aline, and swallowed. “Who do you think you are, Helen Blackthorn, and why are you talking to my friend as if he’s a criminal?”
Magnus did not resist, and Alec enveloped him in a tight embrace. He locked his arms around Magnus's slim body, felt their chests rising and falling against each other, and held him fast. Magnus let his head drop onto Alec's shoulder.
"You saved yourself," Alec said into Magnus's ear. "You saved yourself, and then you saved so many people. You couldn't have saved anyone, if you hadn't saved yourself. I would never have found you."
Alec had been right about the darkness waiting in Magnus, and the pain waiting with it. All that darkness, and all that pain, and Magnus was somehow still a blazing riot of life and color, a swirl of joy for everyone around him. He was the reason Alec looked into a mirror now, and saw a complete person who did not have to hide.
They stayed locked together, the fire beside them dying. It was quiet in the moonlight. Alec held on.
- It may or may not be related to the "Red Texts" mentioned by Diego Rosales in Lady Midnight.
- People who donated $10 to the Worldbuilders' 2016 Fundraiser got the chance to have their name used as a character in the book. The winner/s has/have yet to be announced.
- The Red Scrolls was initially set to be the third and final book in the trilogy before Cassandra Clare decided to switch the title order of the series.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Cassie's newsletter regarding her updated book schedule
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 https://tmisource.com/2016/11/03/exclusive-cassandra-clare-reveals-titles-of-magnus-bane-series-and-more/
- ↑ http://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Lost-Book-of-the-White/Cassandra-Clare/The-Eldest-Curses/9781508232247
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/160240628174/tec-questions
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/158160763554/hello-cassie-i-adore-your-books-and-i-read-them
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/159325094459/hi-cassie-how-are-you-i-love-malec-a-lot-and-i
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/172558965774/hello-cassie-will-tessa-jem-and-will
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfnITX7i8eo
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/162283915484/qa-jem-and-emma
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 https://mailchi.mp/cassandraclare/jan2018-red-scrolls-excerpt
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/172412598599/hi-will-we-ever-know-more-about-lilys-life
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/800017641876455424
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/159140925959/hey-cassie-i-cant-wait-until-lord-of-shadows
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/159664344729/will-we-see-more-of-the-spiral-labyrinth-in-any-of
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/158754705314/hey-first-i-want-to-say-that-i-am-a-huge-fan-and
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/159043307834/hi-cassie-first-of-all-i-want-to-thank-you-for
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/160240628174/tec-questions
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/162185076604/hi-cassie-i-have-a-important-question-its
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/171542944679/hi-cassie-i-was-wondering-what-sort-of-a-role
- ↑ For every $10 donated through this page, you get one chance to have your name as a character in the first book of the Magnus Bane trilogy, The Lost Book of the White (co written by Wesley Chu). — Crowdspire
- ↑ "... but as we wrote the books, it turned out that it was a better title for the second book, so it got changed. It doesn't mean anything for the plot or the story or the characters." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr