The series follows Clary Fray, Jace Lightwood, Simon Lewis, Isabelle Lightwood, Alec Lightwood and other Downworlders and Shadowhunters in the New York Institute. Seemingly normal at first, Clary soon gets sucked into the world of Nephilim and other creatures when she finds out that she is a Shadowhunter.
- City of Bones
- City of Ashes
- City of Glass
- City of Fallen Angels
- City of Lost Souls
- City of Heavenly Fire
Audiobook editions Edit
- City of Bones was narrated by Ari Graynor and, in a new version, by Mae Whitman.
- City of Ashes and City of Glass were narrated by Natalie Moore.
- City of Fallen Angels was narrated by Ed Westwick and Molly C. Quinn.
- City of Lost Souls was narrated by Molly Quinn.
Film adaptation Edit
- Main article: The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
The first of the series, City of Bones, is already being adapted onto the big screen. Initial reports claim plans for a film trilogy based on the first three books.
- The series was initially meant to only be a trilogy, ending with City of Glass.
- The series title refers to the three Mortal Instruments which were featured and crucial to the events in the series.
- The series name was taken from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. Certain lines were used as an epigraph of the first book in the series, City of Bones.