|The Lost Book of the White|
|Release Date||ca. 2020|
|Publisher|| Saga Press|
(Simon & Schuster)
| Released after|
Chain of Gold
| Released before|
Chain of Iron
- Note: This synopsis was released before the titles/order of books were shuffled and is expected to change.
Magnus Bane, a centuries old High Warlock, has taken possession of one of the great relics of the supernatural world, a powerful spell book of dark magic known as The Book of the White and there are many who want to claim it for themselves.
After the Mortal War where the part-human and part-angel Shadowhunters teamed with the part human-demon Downworlders to fight against the incursion of an army of demons, Magnus and his new lover, the mortal Alec Lightwood celebrate their survival and victory by escaping the supernatural battlefield of New York City by touring the world, but the world won't leave them alone.
- Magnus and Alec are the main characters, with POVs from both.
- Characters set to appear, aside from Magnus and Alec, include: Jace, Clary, Simon, and Isabelle.
- The gang will be traveling to Shanghai where they will encounter the Ke family.
- Alec and Magnus are negotiating the experience of being new fathers (to Max) and dealing with the consequences of events in Red Scrolls, "which have reared their heads again. This is also where the main group of TMI characters finds out what happens in Red Scrolls, since Alec and Magnus had to keep it secret before, and they join in on the escapade more than they did in TEC1."
- This installment will be set after City of Heavenly Fire but before Lady Midnight, specifically soon after Born to Endless Night.
Now Magnus watched Alec walk toward their bed, safe and home and well-beloved, and he felt the last of the tension slip from his body. He could sleep again, he thought. It had been a while since they slept in their bed together, at the same time. Too long. He rolled his shoulders, sighing, and Alec's eyes followed the movement.
"I'm not tired," claimed Alec, clearly lying. "Are you tired? Or would you want to—stay awake?"
Oh. It had been a while for a few things.
Magnus leaned in across the bed and lied, his voice soft and delighted: "I'm not tired."
Alec was already leaning in to him, his lean warrior's body stretched out on the bed and curving toward Magnus. They met halfway, the kiss moonlight soft at first. Magnus was smiling. Alec's warm mouth curved, after a moment, into an answering smile. Moonlight changed to starlight, a feeling like points of brightness coming to shining life all through Magnus's body.
Magnus separated reluctantly from Alec to help Alec slide off his worn T-shirt. Magnus dropped the T-shirt by the side of the bed, and began to draw his own rings from his fingers.
"Hey," Alec murmured, eyes shining in the low light, voice husky. "Leave them on."
It had been much too long.
"All right," Magnus whispered back. "Anything you want."
"Anything?" said Alec.
Magnus reached out and stroked the angelic rune traced against of Alec's throat, and felt Alec swallow under the light pressure of Magnus's fingers and the metal of his rings. Then Magnus clasped the nape of Alec's neck and drew him in for another kiss. His free hand glided up the arch of Alec's back, rings stuttering along his spine. His palm slid up to his shoulderblades, mapping the well-known and always wonderful stretch of soft skin and scars.
Alec broke the kiss with a gasp, and leaned his head down on Magnus's shoulder, tucking his face into Magnus's neck for a moment. He slid the robe off Magnus's shoulders, and as the silk slid away he kissed the bared brown skin. The press of his mouth was tender as well as passionate, every move of Alec's always so utterly sincere.
"Anything," said Magnus, and meant it with all his heart. "What do you want?"
"Everything," Alec mumbled. "You."
" 'Everything' and 'me' are not the same thing," Magnus murmured.
"They are to me," said Alec.
He kissed him again, kissed away the startled look Magnus knew he was wearing, still caught off guard by Alec Lightwood, still wondering if this could possibly be for him. This kiss went as deep as the first one tonight had been soft, and as they kissed Alec tumbled back on the silk pillows and pulled Magnus down against him.
Magnus nuzzled the rune on the side of Alec's neck, then kissed the hollow at the base of his throat, and felt the shiver run through Alec's body beneath him.
Then a scream broke the air.
- The title is referring to the Book of the White.
- The Lost Book was initially set to be the first book in the trilogy before Cassandra Clare decided to switch the title order of the series.
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/158366178629/books-books-books
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/165297971484/qa-various-malcolm-ash-gwynburn
- ↑ Lost Book of the White | Simon & Schuster (2017 cached capture of the page)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/160240628174/tec-questions
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/172558965774/hello-cassie-will-tessa-jem-and-will
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/175343764214/do-all-the-eldest-curses-books-take-place-in-the