The Dark Artifices is an ongoing trilogy written by Cassandra Clare and is the sequel series to The Mortal Instruments. It is the third series to be published in The Shadowhunter Chronicles, but is the fourth chronologically.
Set in Los Angeles in 2013, the series will follow Emma Carstairs, who, after losing both of her parents, has dedicated her life to the eradication of demons, hunting the people responsible for her parents' death.
- For more, either go to the individual book page(s) above, or check the unidentified snippets page.
"Yeah," he said, eyelashes lowering as his gaze traced the movement of her fingers. "It hurt me being away from you. It feels like there's a hook dug in under my ribs, and there's something pulling at the other end. Like I'm tethered to you, no matter the distance."
Mark whirled on them. His eyes were blind, unseeing. "You bring the twins in front of me and you kill them over and over. My Ty, he doesn't understand why I can't save him. You bring me Dru and when she laughs to see the fairytale castle, all ringed round with hedges, you throw her against the thorns until their pierce her small body. And you bid me wash in Octavian’s blood for the blood of an innocent child is magic under the Hill."
Cristina looked after Emma, her hand going to the pendant at her own throat. It was silver, in the shape of a circle with a rose inside it. The rose was wrapped around with thorny briars. Words were written in Latin on the back: she didn't need to look at them to know them. She’d known them all her life. Blessed be the Angel my strength who teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. The rose for Rosales, the words for Raziel, the Angel who had created the Shadowhunters a thousand years ago. Cristina had always thought Emma fought for her parabatai and for revenge, while she fought for family and faith. But maybe it was all the same thing: maybe it was all love, in the end.
Now he looked at her sideways. "You don't think I look like a Shadowhunter any more?"
"Do you want to?" Cristina asked.
"I want to look like my family," Mark said. "I cannot have the Blackthorn coloring, but I can look as much like Nephilim as possible. Besides, if I wish to be part of the investigation, I cannot stand out."
Cristina held back from telling Mark that there was no world in which he didn't stand out. "I can make you look like a Shadowhunter."
She had wondered, when he'd looked into her eyes and said that he'd had to learn to make do without mirrors in the Wild Hunt, whose eyes he'd been looking into for all those years. Who'd been his mirror.
Now she knew.
"Do I?" Diana leaned back in her chair, tapping her pencil against the back of her right hand, where the Rune of Sight was inked. Every Shadowhunter had a Voyance rune on their dominant hand, allowing them to see through glamours. Emma's was on her left. "Well, if I know what you did, and you know what you did, maybe you should tell me what your punishment should be?"
"I should have to take care of a box of kittens," Emma said immediately. "Definitely a box of kittens. You know how cruel kittens are, with their tiny little claws and terrible attitudes."
"I'm calling." Emma lunged for her phone.
"No!" Julian said, forcefully enough to stop her. "You know we can't tell anyone. About Mark —"
"You're not going to bleed to death in a car for Mark!"
"No," he said, looking at her. His eyes were eerily green-blue, the only bright color in the dark interior of the car. "You're going to fix me."
- The poem Annabel Lee by Edgar Allan Poe is part of the basis for The Dark Artifices.
- The series title, The Dark Artifices, was taken from "The Annals of Imperial Rome," a historical work written by Tacitus.
- Ariadne Blackthorn, who was part of the original set of announced characters in the series, was written off during the writing of City of Heavenly Fire.
- There will be information about the "missing" Herondale.
- During the early stages, the series was initially planned to be set in 2012.
- According to Cassandra Clare, the series will be in quest narrative.
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/44498423917/hii-cassie-love-your-books-one-question-so-you
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/63368744119/hello-miss-casandra-i-have-a-really-unusual
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/57618878194/this-poem-is-part-of-the-basis-for-the-dark
- ↑ http://http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/20688985302/the-blackthorns-names-are-all-roman-is-that-what-they
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/81098240611/hey-cassie-i-love-your-books-and-i-love-the-fact
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/480718425518768128
- ↑ http://twishort.com/8d6bc
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/77823512422/tlh-tid-tmi
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMSiRZ_-we0