|No. of episodes||20|
|Premiere episode||This Guilty Blood|
|Finale episode||Beside Still Water|
| Season chronology
The second season of Shadowhunters returns with the Shadow World in upheaval with Valentine and the Circle continuing to grow stronger by the minute and our gang quickly becoming disillusioned with the Clave and their reaction to the recent events. Loyalties will be tested, unlikely bonds will be made, and relationships will be pushed to the limit as the Shadowhunters and their Downworlder friends make their own way in a new world.
Shadowhunters returns for the second half of season two with Shadowhunters and Downworlders reeling from what happened at the New York Institute in the winter finale. As the rift between the two sides grows larger, the team and their Downworld friends and lovers are put in the middle of the dangerous divide. Torn between the Clave's rules and what they feel is right, Clary, Jace, Alec and Isabelle struggle to help forge a new beginning. Relationships will be tested, a new Shadowhunter named Sebastian will join the fray and the Seelie Queen will step out of the shadows in the summer season.
- Jace's "irrational fear of ducks" may be featured in this season.
- Robert Lightwood will be in one more episode.
- Catarina Loss will appear.
- Madzie will return.
- Tessa Gray will be featured or mentioned.
- Bat Velasquez may be featured. According to an IMDb listing, he may be portrayed by Kevin Alves and may appear in Awake, Arise, or be Forever Fallen.
- The Mortal Mirror, and the Mortal Instruments altogether, will play a big role. It may appear in the sixteenth episode.
- Magnus's stolen book of counter spells may play a role.
- Episode 18 will feature Malec.
- Characters will die.
- The show's first flying demons will be featured.
- The rest of the season will continue to feature events/elements from the City of Glass.
Cast and characters
- Katherine McNamara as Clary Fray
- Dominic Sherwood as Jace Wayland
- Alberto Rosende as Simon Lewis
- Matthew Daddario as Alec Lightwood
- Emeraude Toubia as Isabelle Lightwood
- Isaiah Mustafa as Luke Garroway
- Harry Shum Jr. as Magnus Bane
- Alan Van Sprang as Valentine Morgenstern
- Maxim Roy as Jocelyn Fray
- David Castro as Raphael Santiago
- Will Tudor as Sebastian Verlac
- Nick Sagar as Victor Aldertree
- Alisha Wainwright as Maia Roberts
|Image||Title||Written by||Directed by||Original Airdate||Episode|
|This Guilty Blood||Michael Reisz||Matt Hastings||January 2, 2017||2x01||14|
|The Shadow World in upheaval as Valentine and the Circle continue to grow stronger by the minute, while our Shadowhunter team quickly becomes disillusioned with the Clave and their reaction to the recent events.|
|A Door Into the Dark||Y. Shireen Razack||Andy Wolk||January 9, 2017||2x02||15|
|Clary struggles to find where she belongs, while Simon seeks Magnus' help.|
|Parabatai Lost||Peter Binswanger||Gregory Smith||January 16, 2017||2x03||16|
|Everyone is on the hunt for Jace, but all for their own reasons. Meanwhile, Jace tries to find a way to save Alec from danger.|
|Day of Wrath||Jamie Gorenberg||Joe Lazarov||January 23, 2017||2x04||17|
|No one is safe when the Shadowhunters come up against a new kind of demon.|
|Dust and Shadows||Zac Hug||Salli Richardson||January 30, 2017||2x05||18|
|Clary takes desperate actions after the attack on the Institute.|
|Iron Sisters||Allison Rymer||Mike Rohl||February 6, 2017||2x06||19|
|Clary and Isabelle make a trip to the elusive Iron Sisters to find out more about Valentine's plans for the Soul Sword.|
|How Are Thou Fallen||Hollie Overton||Ben Bray||February 13, 2017||2x07||20|
|Clary and Luke question whether they can trust Luke's sister Cleo to lead them to Valentine.|
|Love is a Devil||Y. Shireen Razack||Catriona McKenzie||February 20, 2017||2x08||21|
|Alec and Magnus offer to host a celebration in honor of Max's first rune.|
|Bound By Blood||Peter Binswanger||Matt Hastings||February 27, 2017||2x09||22|
|Clary is sidelined by Iris' blood oath while the Downworld begins to fall apart.|
|By the Light of Dawn||Todd & Darren||Joshua Butler||March 6, 2017||2x10||23|
|The New York Institute is under attack as Valentine's plan for the Soul-Sword is getting dangerously close to coming to fruition. Meanwhile, some of the Downworlders have their own plan to stop Valentine and their target is Clary.|
|Mea Maxima Culpa||Michael Reisz||Matt Hastings||June 5, 2017||2x11||24|
|Everyone is dealing with the aftermath of the Soul Sword attack at the Institute.|
|TBA||You Are Not Your Own||Jamie Gorenberg||Bille Woodruff||June 12, 2017||2x12||25|
|After several Shadowhunters are killed, The Institute turns to controversial methods to prevent a Downworlder uprising.|
|TBA||Those of Demon Blood||Zac Hug||Michael Goi||June 19, 2017||2x13||26|
|After several Shadowhunters are killed, the Institute takes controversial methods to avoid a revolt of the Downworlds.|
|TBA||The Fair Folk||Taylor Mallory||Chris Grismer||June 26, 2017||2x14||27|
|Alec has big plans to mend fences with the Downworlders, while Jace and Clary are summoned by the Seelie Queen.|
|TBA||A Problem of Memory||TBA||Peter DeLuise||July 10, 2017||2x15||28|
|Simon goes down a dark path while Alec and team prepares to transport Valentine.|
|TBA||Day of Atonement||Peter Binswanger||Paul Wesley||July 17, 2017||2x16||29|
|Jace and Clary go on an unsanctioned mission, while Maia helps Simon out at a Yom Kippur family dinner.|
|TBA||A Dark Reflection||TBA||Jeffrey Hunt||July 24, 2017||2x17||30|
|Clary struggles with the idea that her brother Jonathan is pure evil when it appears he is hunting down the mortal mirror for Valentine's use.|
|TBA||Awake, Arise, or be Forever Fallen||Jamie Gorenberg||Amanda Row||2017||2x18||31|
|After a devastating attack at The Institute, everyone is on high alert as the Shadowhunters close in on their hunt for Jonathan. Meanwhile, Simon and Maia help a new Downworlder as the Seelie Queen demands an answer from Magnus and Luke.|
|TBA||Hail and Farewell||TBA||TBA||2017||2x19||32|
|With Valentine and Sebastian on the loose, the Downworlders come together to make a surprising choice.|
|TBA||Beside Still Water||Todd & Darren||TBA||2017||2x20||33|
|TBA - The synopsis will be written here. The image will be on the left. This is temporary content, just to fill the table and show you what it would look like.|
- For the whole collection of images and videos for the show, go to the gallery page, or browse the episode galleries on the wiki.
Shortly before production began, Ed Decter "left" the series, supposedly over creative differences. He was then replaced by Todd Slavkin and Darren Swimmer as the new showrunners and executive producers. Some other parts of the production team, such as writers, crew members, and producers, also left.
Several changes were made behind the scenes prior to the production of the season. Various creative decisions were made, in coordination with the new vision for the show's expanded look. Along with the aforementioned new showrunners are some crew changes: Folks VFX was brought on as the new visual effects team, and the new stunt coordinator was brought on to make the fight scenes take on more of a martial arts approach. Even some of the props were redesigned, including the swords; some blades which now have runes glowing on their surface. The new team hoped to make the show visually stronger—less colorful and bright, but darker with more powerful action and better visual effects; the Portal design is new, as well as the warlock magic, Magnus's cat eyes, the supernatural speed, particularly of the vampires, the normal rune color was also changed from red (of the first season) to black (its standard color in the books), and even parts of the set have been revamped by the new production designer; the actors were also encouraged "into uncomfortable places" and "to dig down deep" for this season's scenes. The EP Matt Hastings (who, due to McG's busy scheduling, is the production director now regularly on set) also brought on new directors and cinematographers for this season in their efforts to change the look and make the show more cinematic, to give the show more scope and more depth. It is also set to "focus a little bit more on [the] core people," building on their characterization and integrating some more elements and the tone from the books.
Filming began on August 8, 2016, took a break in November, continued in January 23, and is expected to end by May 2017. The show premiered on January 2, 2017; divided into two parts, the season went on a winter break after its mid-season finale on March 6, and will return for the second half on June 5, 2017.
- According to the Todd Slavkin, it has been around month since the beginning of the events of The Mortal Cup.
- A new opening credits sequence was launched this season.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 'Shadowhunters' Renewed for Second Season at Freeform — Hollywood Reporter
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Shadowhunters: Titles & Spoilers For February 2017 Episodes | KSiteTV
- ↑ ‘Shadowhunters’ Showrunner Ed Decter Exits For Season 2 Of Freeform Series | Deadline
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Cassandra Clare Shares the Troubles and Triumphs of Seeing the Shadowhunters World Onscreen — The B&N Teen Blog
- ↑ ‘Shadowhunters’: Todd Slavkin & Darren Swimmer Tapped As New Showrunners | Deadline
- ↑ Credits on the show and tweets of crew replacements from other staff
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Shadowhunters exclusive: changes coming in season two | Empire
- ↑ Shadowhunters season 2 first look — Entertainment Weekly
- ↑ Dom during his Facebook Live Q&A
- ↑ Matt Hasting on Twitter
- ↑ McG on Twitter
- ↑ "Here we go!" — Katherine McNamara on Instagram
- ↑ "We start shooting 211 Jan 23." Todd Slavkin on Twitter
- ↑ "First day shooting 2b..." Todd Slavkin on Twitter
- ↑ OMDC — In Production
- ↑ Current Productions | IATSE 873
- ↑ Currently Filming in Toronto overview