|Portrayed by Maxim Roy|
Jocelyn Morgenstern (née Fairchild)
Mrs. F (by Simon)
A member of the Circle during its formative years, Jocelyn was married to its leader Valentine Morgenstern and was best of friends with fellow Shadowhunter and Valentine's parabatai, Luke Garroway. In time, she and Valentine had a son, whom they named Jonathan Christopher.
Jocelyn stayed by her husband, believing that the Circle was working towards noble goal. She eventually came to see that Valentine's goals had become increasingly extremist, and that he and his comrades constantly broke the Accords in brutal acts against Downworlders. One of the first times Jocelyn realized that Valentine was too far gone was when she saw him after he'd just massacred a group of warlocks. She tried to make sense of his actions at first, even considering asking her father to help him, but Valentine simply justified his choices by saying the Accords were a fallacy.
During this time, Jocelyn and Luke both tried to control the situation and help Valentine, but both were vehemently ignored. Their efforts brought them closer, and the pair fell in love. Though neither acted on their feelings because of their love for Valentine, Luke still felt that part of the reason Valentine's personality took a drastic turn was because he noticed their bond and suspected that they were having an affair, and that he began experimenting, injecting himself with Downworlder blood, to earn Jocelyn's heart back.
After the Uprising, Jocelyn finally acted against Valentine and took the stolen Mortal Cup while Luke confronted him. She disappeared from trace for a long while that even Luke thought she'd been killed. Valentine even went as far as burning down the Fairchild manor and leading her to believe that their son was dead. She took what remained of Jonathan's baby things and kept it in a box that had his initials, J.C., on it.
While on the run, she eventually gave birth to another child she'd conceived with Valentine before their falling out—a daughter, whom she named Clarissa—and she changed their last names to Fray. In doing so, she turned her back on the life of Shadowhunting to raise her daughter away from the dangers of their world. She and Luke were eventually reunited, and the pair remained friends and parts of each other's lives.
For eighteen years, Jocelyn was able to evade capture by the Circle. Still in hiding but finally settling down in New York, Jocelyn opened a store, Greenpoint Antiquities, and hired the warlock Dot as her assistant. As Clary grew older, Jocelyn realized that hiding her past from Clary may not be so easy with her seeing the Shadow World for what it was. After an incident with a water demon, she took the young Clary to the High Warlock of Brooklyn, Magnus Bane, and had him remove all memories of the Shadow World. She has since kept the secret from her, much to the disapproval of Magnus and Luke. She also concealed the identity of Clary's father, telling her that it was a man named Jonathan Clark.
On Clary's 18th birthday, however, Jocelyn finally accepted that it would be more dangerous and unfair to Clary to keep hiding their past from her. She had planned to talk to her about it and got to give her a Fairchild stele before Clary left with her best friend, Simon, abruptly.
When Clary returned home from Magnus's club later that night, Jocelyn was distraught to hear that she encountered Shadowhunters and demons. Jocelyn tried to explain it to her, but Dot arrived to tell her that the Circle had finally caught up to her. Jocelyn then sent Clary through a Portal, to Luke at the station. Jocelyn confronted the Circle members and, before she could be taken, drank a potion that put her into an indefinite dream state.
Jocelyn was brought to Valentine's hideout in Chernobyl. Valentine took to watching over her in his spare time and talking to her, taking extreme offense if any Circle members spoke unfavorably about her. Meanwhile, Clary and Luke frantically worked to find and get her back.
Eventually, Valentine "let" Clary retrieve her mother's body, telling her that it had always been his intention to allow them to reunite and wake Jocelyn, and that they would eventually join him. She was awakened by Magnus with a spell from the Book of the White, and she was reunited with Clary and Luke.
Upon waking, Jocelyn shared a brief happy reunion with Clary, Simon, and Luke, during which she learned that Simon had become a vampire, and that her son, Jonathan, was alive and had been taken by Valentine. After this, she immediately clashed with Clary and Alec, Jace's parabatai, about how to deal with Jace. She tried to kill Jace the first chance she got, believing Jace to be innately evil, angering the others further. It was only when Clary was also taken by Valentine that she helped the others track Jace, knowing it would lead them to Clary, as well. When her help endangered Alec's life, she repented and helped Jace escape from the werewolves hunting him.
After some time, the Council decided that Jocelyn's loyalty was still in question, particularly due to his involvement with Valentine and the disappearance of the Mortal Cup. They reassigned her to Idris and, tired of running, Jocelyn simply agreed. She invited Clary to go with her, and though she considered it, she eventually turned her down. On the other hand, Luke insisted on going with her, and the pair shared a kiss.
Before she could leave, a new demon created by Valentine infiltrated the Institute and began possessing other Shadowhunters to kill their own. When the demon possessed Alec, it fed on the feelings of anger he still harbored for Jocelyn's recent decisions and made Jocelyn his target. The possessed Alec killed her, and she was later found by Clary. Unable to get over her death, Clary tried to resort to Iris Rouse's dark magic to bring her back but backed out before she could be resurrected. A funeral was held for her and the others who died on the day of the attack on the Institute and the City of Bones.
Seen as beautiful, warm and protective, Jocelyn is a woman who would do anything to protect those she loves. She loves her daughter Clary "more then words" and treats her mundane best friend Simon as if he were her own son. In her younger years, she had a considerable influence towards other Shadowhunters and encouraged them to the join the Circle before realizing just how corrupt Valentine had become.
As a Shadowhunter, she was one of the finest of her generation—highly-skilled and idealistic, believing in and striving for peace. While she was with Valentine, however, she was a little naive to his true nature at first before she finally saw his dark side.
Jocelyn has dark red hair. Along with various other runes, she also has a permanent round rune on her neck that symbolizes her membership with the Circle. During her time away from the Shadowhunter world, Jocelyn had her runes hidden with glamour.
Skills and abilities
- Nephilim physiology: Though no longer active, Jocelyn is still biologically a Nephilim. She possesses a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to her by the blood of Raziel in her veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. She also has power to perform tasks unique to their species, such as the ability to use and call on the power of angels for their seraph blades. This includes enhanced strength, agility, stamina, and coordination, which only improves over time and practice. Despite years of no longer fighting, she is still quite graceful and lethal.
- Runic magic: Due to the angel blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are able to apply runes on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer. Due to the extra angel blood she also received, Jocelyn also had the ability to use runes unknown to other Shadowhunters, though seemingly less than her daughter Clary. An example would be the rune they used to place three-dimensional objects within an otherwise flat surface or material, such as paper, by drawing or painting them into it. She is also able to withdraw the object at will.
- Swordsmanship: Jocelyn is highly skill in swordsmanship.
- The Sight: As a Shadowhunter, she is able to easily see through most magical illusions and layers of glamour over reality.
- Use of heavenly weapons: As a Nephilim, Jocelyn is also able to handle heavenly weapons, such as seraph blades, with effect that would normally not work for other species.
- Unique Shadowhunter ability: According to Luke, some Shadowhunters have unusual angelic powers and may be passed down. In Jocelyn's case, she and Clary have the shared ability to press physical objects into paper, transforming them into drawings or paintings, and are conversely the only ones able to "reach into" the pictures to extract the hidden object.
- Art: Jocelyn is a particularly skilled and talented artist.
- Stele: A tool used to draw runes onto the skin of Shadowhunters, Jocelyn utilizes a stele to place Marks on his and others' skin, as well as on weapons and other inanimate objects, for varied effects. Jocelyn had a custom stele that has been passed down through generations of Fairchilds, which she later passed onto Clary.
- Seraph blades: Standard Shadowhunter weapons that Jocelyn is able to wield proficiently.
Behind the scenes
- She is portrayed by Maxim Roy in the Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments in a recurring role. Susanna Fournier portrays a younger version of the character in the first season.
|Season One appearances: 8/13|
|The Mortal Cup:|
|The Descent Into Hell Isn't Easy:|
|Dead Man's Party:|
|Moo Shu to Go:|
|Of Men and Angels:|
Flashback and vision only
In main story and flashback
|This World Inverted:|
|Blood Calls To Blood:|
|Season Two appearances: 5/20|
|This Guilty Blood:|
|A Door Into the Dark:|
|Day of Wrath:|
|Dust and Shadows:|
Appears as a corpse only
|How Are Thou Fallen:|
|Love is a Devil:|
|Bound By Blood:|
May be featured
|By the Light of Dawn:|