|Portrayed by Stephen R. Hart|
In 2016, Clary Fairchild and her newfound Shadowhunter allies went to the City of Bones in hopes that the Silent Brothers could help her access her blocked memories. When they came to the hall of the Soul-Sword, Brother Jeremiah arrived and spoke to Clary through her mind and asked her if she was certain, informing her of the risks of the ritual. When she confirmed, Brother Jeremiah and the others began, and the Sword was used to let her access what they could unlock of her memories.
When Jace Wayland was imprisoned and later interrogated by Victor Aldertree in the City of Bones, Jeremiah was among the Silent Brothers who again handled the Soul-Sword. When Jace tried to use the Sword to kill himself, Brother Jeremiah acted quickly and compelled his mind to stop, causing the former immense pain.
Shortly after, Valentine Morgenstern arrived to steal the Sword. Being one of its keepers, Brother Jeremiah protected the Sword with his life and refused to let go of it until Valentine himself killed him. Jeremiah made it down to the cells, and he uttered his last words vocally, begging Jace for help—his previously sewn mouth torn open as he died. He fell in front of Jace's cells, who checked if he was still alive by trying to use his hand to unlock his cell. Valentine followed shortly after and removed the dagger used to kill him from his back.
Brother Jeremiah had pale white skin littered with runes, some of which were the most powerful runes in the Gray Book which deformed his appearance. His head was shaved, he had no eyes, only indentations where they should be, and his mouth was sewn shut.
Skills and abilities
As a Shadowhunter, particularly Silent Brother, Brother Jeremiah possessed an array of powers, including:
- Telepathy: Brother Jeremiah possessed the ability to reach into the minds of those around him: to recover memories, communicate with others through their minds, or even control others.
- Runes: As a Silent Brother, Brother Jeremiah, like the others, was considered superior to other Shadowhunters, particularly because he bore more powerful runes.
- Brother Jeremiah was portrayed by Stephen R. Hart, who also portrayed the same character in the film adaptation.
- The character was minimally changed from its book counterpart.
- The direction of the Insight rune on his forehead changed in the second season.