|Chain of Gold|
| Preceded by|
The Infernal Devices
| Followed by|
Chain of Iron
| Released after|
The Lost Book of the White (TEC)
| Released before|
The Queen of Air and Darkness (TDA)
It's too bad that Tatiana Blackthorn, the matriarch of the family, has always been, as her father Will Herondale says, "mad as a mouse trapped in a teapot." Since the day that her father Benedict murdered Tatiana's husband, and was killed in turn by a group of Shadowhunters that included both her brothers, Tatiana has nursed a burning grudge against the London Institute and all its inhabitants, especially Will, Tessa and their children: Lucie and her brother, James...
James and Matthew separated, Matthew to dance with Lucie, and James to speak to his parents. Cordelia saw them glance over toward her and looked away quickly; still, she was not at all surprised when James appeared a moment later in front of her, flashing a smile at his aunt and uncle.
"Miss Carstairs," he said, with a slight bow in Cordelia's direction. "Would you favor me with this dance?"
"It's waltz," said Cordelia's mother, before Cordelia could speak. "My daughter does not know how to waltz."
Cordelia bit her lip. She certainly knew how to dance: her mother had engaged an expert instructor to teach her the quadrille and the lancer, the stately minuet and the cotilion. But the waltz was a seductive dance, one where you could feel your partner's body against yours, scandalous when it had first become popular.
She very much wanted to waltz with James.
Will had been sitting on the floor, the rug bunched up under his feet, with his back against Tessa's legs. He looked up when Jem came in, and Jem, in his Silent Brother robes, went over to Will and sat down beside him. He drew Will's head against his shoulder, and Will held the front of Jem's robes in his fists and he cried. It was the first time it had ever occurred to James that his father might cry about anything.
- Though majority of the action will take place in 1903, the narrative may move back and forth in time, covering some things that happened in the "20 odd years since Clockwork Princess" (1878), with chapters subtitled "Time Now" and "Time Past".
- ↑ First announcement — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Book order — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Titles, but not which is 1, 2 or 3 — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ The Last Hours on Shadowhunters.com
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Likely order — Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ The Last Hours — Shadowhunters.com
- ↑ "2018 probably." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "I'm working on Lost Book of the White and Chain of Gold." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "No, Chain of Gold comes next!" Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ Original Tumblr post (removed from post); reblogged post, still with the description
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/159325012584/hi-ms-cassandra-is-the-last-hours-going-to-pick