Michael spent his childhood in Idris. When they were young, Michael befriended Robert Lightwood, who had been ostracized by the other children their age because of his body's reaction to receiving his first Mark. The two had since become the closest of friends. When they were fifteen, they became parabatai.
Shortly after, the pair attended the Shadowhunter Academy, where they later joined Valentine's Circle. By their last year at the Academy, Michael had already fallen in love with Robert. When he confessed his feelings, Robert took the news harshly and the pair became estranged.
After leaving the Academy, Michael became fascinated by his Wayland family lineage. Since the Waylands were once famous weapon makers, Michael taught himself how to make weapons—which was odd among Shadowhunters because the Iron Sisters have supplied the Nephilim with weapons for hundreds of years. The blades he made Michael were not beautiful, but they were well-balanced. His forge still stands behind the wreckage of Wayland manor.
Eventually, Michael married Eliza Rosewain, whom he met and dated at the Academy, and had a son with her they named Jonathan. Over time, Michael also began to doubt the Circle's intentions, though he, like Luke, still followed Valentine blindly out of loyalty. Eventually, however, he left.
It was during the Uprising that Valentine murdered Michael, placing him and his son in the burning house of the Fairchilds, to stage his own death and that of his son's, Jonathan Christopher. It was his estrangement from Robert that made him not realize that their bond was broken upon Michael's death, and Robert's exile made it even harder to be sure.
For a long time, no one knew about his death. His wife supposedly died before or during the Uprising, and the story was Michael was grief-stricken over her death and fled to his country estate with his son, believed to be Jace, since Valentine used his name and home as he raised the boy as Jonathan. When Valentine again staged his own death almost ten years after, it was only then that their other friends were made aware of his apparent death, and it was another six years after before the whole truth was finally revealed.
As a child, Michael was curious, slightly strange, and easily-distracted by his own thoughts. He was also kind and friendly, and blunt—traits that carried on until his adulthood.
- The Evil We Love
- The Last Stand of the New York Institute (first appearance)
- Son of the Dawn (mentioned only)
- City of Bones (first mention)
- City of Ashes (mentioned only)
- City of Glass (mentioned only)
- City of Heavenly Fire (mentioned only)
- Born to Endless Night (mentioned only)
- Queen of Air and Darkness (set to appear)
- See more here
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "She was [Michael's wife]," Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 The Evil We Love
- ↑ City of Heavenly Fire
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 City of Bones
- ↑ City of Glass
- ↑ The Last Stand of the New York Institute
- ↑ " He was bisexual," Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Yes, he was," Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Bisexual characters in the Shadowhunter chronicles" — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr