His parent, presumed to be his mother, abandoned him on the steps of the Shadowhunter Academy early in 2010. Found by the students, Simon Lewis decided to call Magnus for help. He and Alec agreed to take care of the matter, not wanting to leave the child at the mercy of the Clave.
While caring for him in their suite at the Academy, Alec grew attached to the child. Soon, his family arrived under the belief that they would keep the child and raise him as their own. Maryse and Isabelle were quick to suggest the name "Max Lightwood", after the child of their family who passed over two years prior, which Alec liked and had considered as well, while Robert recommended Michael, after his dear friend.
Years later, Max still happily lived with his adoptive parents and extended family, who welcomed him and treated him with love. At one point, they adopted a Shadowhunter orphan and named him Rafael, and the boy became Max's elder, adoptive brother.
- Born to Endless Night (first appearance)
- Angels Twice Descending
- A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- The Land I Lost (set to appear)
- Lady Midnight
- Lord of Shadows
- Max enjoys books and playing with common household objects. He wants to be a pirate.
- He calls Alec "dad" and Magnus "papa."