In 1878, it was run by Charlotte Branwell, and partially by her husband, Henry. Will Herondale was appointed as successor to Charlotte, and the Herondale family has since been running the Institute.
In 2007, the Institute was attacked by Sebastian Morgenstern's army of Endarkened Shadowhunters. However, the residents of the London Institute were warned and protected by a force that few people were aware of—the ghost of Jessamine Lovelace. After the war, most of the inhabitants that used to fill the Institute did not return, leaving the Institute practically empty.
In 2010, Academy student George Lovelace was promised a place at the Institute upon Ascension. Though he did not survive the process, the Institute head made good on their word and George was buried there.
As of 2012, the Institute was run by Evelyn Highsmith, and Bridget Daly still served there as a maid and cook despite being over one hundred years old. Threatened by Malcolm Fade at the Los Angeles Institute, the Blackthorn family sought refuge here. The arrival of a faerie and warlock drove Evelyn out of the city, leaving Alec temporarily in charge.
The London Institute is located on Fleet Street in London, England. It sits on the former site of the Church of All-Hallows-The-Less, which was destroyed in the Great Fire Of London in 1666. Through its glamour, the Institute appears to be a regular, abandoned church on the outside.
Inside, the Institute is as glamorous as a castle. The ceiling rises up and disappears into the gloom above. There are tapestries hanging from the walls depicting stars, swords, and designs of runes. The Institute is big enough to be maze-like for newcomers.
Also, much like most other Institutes, the image of Raziel is depicted in several parts of the Institute, and it also has a Sanctuary, which had a fountain with an angel statue. There is also a library filled with literature, many of which are either religious or classics.
The rooms are large and dimly lit, enduing a warm and homey feel. In each room is a large bed, a fireplace, and windows. The dining room is huge and bright, lit by a large gasolier that illuminates the room with a yellowish light. A large mirror goes along the length of the room.
Late 1800s - Early 1900s
- Marcus Herondale † (former head)
- Imogen Herondale † (former head)
- Stephen Herondale †
- Andrew Blackthorn † (former)
- Arthur Blackthorn †
- Bridget Daly (cook, maid)
- Evelyn Highsmith (head)
- Jessamine Lovelace † (ghost guardian)
- Bridget Daly (cook, maid)
- Alec Lightwood (acting head)
- Cristina Rosales
- Emma Carstairs
- Jaime Rosales
- Kit Herondale
- Magnus Bane
- Max Lightwood-Bane
- Rafael Lightwood-Bane
- The London Institute is one of the many Institutes that throw annual Christmas parties, some of which are themed. It is attended by the London Enclave, and is famous among Shadowhunters from different parts of the world.
- While the London Institute was built on the site of the burned All-Hallows-the-Less church, the real church was in fact located in Upper Thames Street. Cassandra Clare chose to place the Institute on Fleet Street, replacing St. Bride's Church—which does not exist in this universe, and from which the shape of the Institute's spire was based on—instead.