In 1878, it was run by Charlotte Branwell, and partially by her husband, Henry. Will Herondale was appointed as successor to Charlotte, and the Herondale family has since been running the Institute.
In 2007, the Institute was attacked by Sebastian Morgenstern's army of Endarkened Shadowhunters. However, the residents of the London Institute were warned and protected by a force that few people were aware of—the ghost of Jessamine Lovelace.
The London Institute is located on Fleet Street in London, England. It sits on the former site of the Church of All-Hallows-The-Less, which was destroyed in the Great Fire Of London in 1666. Through its glamour, the Institute appears to be a regular, abandoned church on the outside.
Inside, the Institute is as glamorous as a castle. The ceiling rises up and disappears into the gloom above. There are tapestries hanging from the walls depicting stars, swords, and designs of runes. The Institute is big enough to be maze-like for newcomers.
Also, much like most other Institutes, the image of Raziel is depicted in several parts of the Institute, and it also has a Sanctuary, which had a fountain with an angel statue. There is also a library filled with literature, many of which are either religious or classics.
The rooms are large and dimly lit, enduing a warm and homey feel. In each room is a large bed, a fireplace, and windows. The dining room is huge and bright, lit by a large gasolier that illuminates the room with a yellowish light. A large mirror goes along the length of the room.
Late 1800s - Early 1900s
- Marcus Herondale † (former head)
- Imogen Herondale † (former head)
- Stephen Herondale †
- Andrew Blackthorn (former)
- Arthur Blackthorn
- Arthur Blackthorn (former)
- Jessamine Lovelace † (ghost guardian)
- The London Institute is one of the many Institutes that throw annual Christmas parties, some of which are themed. It is attended by the London Enclave, and is famous among Shadowhunters from different parts of the world.
- While the London Institute was built on the site of the burned All-Hallows-the-Less church, the real church was in fact located in Upper Thames Street. Cassandra Clare chose to place the Institute on Fleet Street, replacing St. Bride's Church—which does not exist in this universe, and from which the shape of the Institute's spire was based on—instead.
- The Institute will be visited in Lord of Shadows.