Livvy was born into the Blackthorn family to Andrew and Eleanor Blackthorn in 1997. She is the fourth of seven children, including her half-siblings Helen and Mark, and was born within minutes before her twin brother Ty. Livia remains among the few people by whom Ty doesn't mind being touched, as well as one of the few people who can effectively calm him down.
In December of 2007, the Los Angeles Institute was attacked by Sebastian Morgenstern and his Endarkened army. Along with her siblings (with the exception of Mark and Helen, the latter of whom was in Alicante at the time of the attack), Livia managed to escape through a Portal, which was opened by the Clave upon Jules' emergency request.
Once there, Livia was among the children who were interrogated with the Mortal Sword, after learning that their father was among the Clave members who were Turned into Dark Shadowhunters by the Infernal Cup. Eventually, they also learned that their brother Mark had been forced to join the Wild Hunt.
The next time they saw their father was during the battle in Alicante, during which the children were sent to hide in the Accords Hall. There, Andrew quickly found his children and immediately began to approach them menacingly. Jules saw that his father was truly gone after being Turned, and ultimately killed him before he could hurt Ty or his other siblings. When Ty threw a fit afterward, Livia tried to calm him down, knowing that Jules had no choice but to do what he did.
Eventually, the children returned to Los Angeles where their uncle, Arthur, joined them shortly after took over as head of the Los Angeles Institute. He remained a distant figure, however, while their new tutor, Diana Wrayburn, and Julian were more involved with their development.
In August 2012, her half-brother Mark was returned to the Blackthorn family from the Wild Hunt as a bargaining chip to make then investigate who was killing faeries. Livvy and Ty were often tasked with the research aspect of the investigation, and they later insisted on being part of Tavvy's rescue when Malcolm Fade, whom they learned was the Guardian, kidnapped him.
After Malcolm's death, Livvy grew closer to Kit Herondale, who began spending time with her and Ty, and even asked him to kiss her once for fun. Livvy joined Ty and Kit in investigating Annabel Blackthorn's history and was injured in a fight at the London Shadow Market, scaring Ty. Livvy and the boys later discovered Zara Dearborn's plans to take the Los Angeles Institute and told their tutor Diana Wrayburn about it.
After Annabel Blackthorn was risen from the dead by Malcolm, the Blackthorns brought her to Idris with the hope of proving that Zara Dearborn, the unofficial leader of the Centurions and The Cohort, was lying about killing Malcolm. While on the stand, Annabel's attitude changed; wielding the Mortal Sword, Annabel killed Robert Lightwood and Livia, stabbing her chest after she had rushed to hand Julian a sword to protect himself.
Personality and traits
Livia was fiercely protective of the people she cared about. When Tiberius and Kit started getting closer, Livia was worried that Kit might hurt Ty and even confronted him about how long he would stay with the Blackthorns. This was also seen during fights, where she would often move to protect Tiberius or Kit. She was strong and brave, and she was more than willing to put herself at risk if it meant her loved ones would be safe. She as well had to be held back when Octavian was visibly in trouble.
Livia admired her older brother Julian. She planned to run an Institute when she got older, wanting to be like him. When he was not around, she felt like she must be in charge and stepped up to that role.
Livia was very mischievous and often got up to high jinks with Tiberius. This included messing with their siblings, spying on people at the Institute, and going to places they knew they shouldn't go.
She was also imaginative, being able to come up with dramatic scenarios just by observing people, and a bit of a romantic, wanting Cristina and Julian to fall in love when she first met Cristina and wanting Alec and Magnus to get married.
Livia's favorite weapon was the saber. She chose it when she was twelve years old and worked hard to make sure she was good at fencing. She could talk eagerly about types of sabers and their grips, especially pistol grips.
Livia, like her other siblings, had the Blackthorn brown hair and blue-green eyes.
Skills and abilities
- Nephilim physiology: Being Nephilim, Livia possessed a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to her by the angel blood of Raziel in his veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. This includes enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, and coordination, which continue to improve over time and practice.
- The Sight: As a Shadowhunter, Livia was naturally and easily able to see through most magical illusions and layers of glamour over reality.
- Runic magic: Due to the angel blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are able to apply runes on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer.
- Use of heavenly weapons: As a Shadowhunter, Livia was also able to perform tasks unique to their species, such as the ability to use and call on the power of angels for their seraph blades, as well as to handle any heavenly weapons or objects with effect, which would normally not work for other species. In particular, these are tools made of adamas and forged by Iron Sisters.
- Swordsmanship: Livia was a skilled fencer and sword fighter, especially with her saber equipped.
- Other basic Shadowhunter gear, including: a Sensor, steles, seraph blades, and witchlight.
- Saber: Livia's favorite weapon.
- City of Lost Souls (first mention)
- City of Heavenly Fire (first appearance)
- Bitter of Tongue
- The Fiery Trial
- A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- Lady Midnight
- Lord of Shadows
Following the family tradition of Greek and Latin names, Andrew named her Livia after a Roman empress who was married to Tiberius Claudius Nero, after whom Andrew named her twin brother, a deliberate instance that Andrew found funny.
- Livvy is also mathematically-minded. She is fascinated by fractal patterns. She would often help her siblings when they struggle with their math. She and Ty picked up the hobby of studying computers—whereas Ty liked analyzing and organizing the patterns, she was more involved with the mathematical aspect the programming and coding. Sometimes even her tutor Diana wishes she could go to college and take a higher level math course.
- She wants to become parabatai with Ty, but he refuses, mostly because of his desire to go to the Scholomance.
- Livvy and Ty's rooms are across the hall from each other. Her room is clean and well-decorated. Her bed's headboard is covered with fabric decorated with a teacup pattern, bright costume jewelry hangs from screens nailed to the wall, and books about computers and programming languages are stacked in orderly rows by her bed.
- ↑ Twins tarot cards — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Livvy by like, a minute." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Livvy's like a minute older." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Livvy by a few minutes!" Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ City of Lost Souls
- ↑ City of Heavenly Fire
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 7.8 7.9 Lady Midnight
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 Lord of Shadows
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Blackthorn names, Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Blackthorn and friends — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Blackthorns and co., Cassandra Clare on Tumblr