Known 21st century Lightwood children
|Notable Members:|| Gabriel Lightwood|
Jace Lightwood (adopted)
|Affiliation:|| Herondale family|
The Lightwoods are a very old and very powerful family of Shadowhunters. They are members of the Clave, and the living family members currently all reside in the New York Institute. During the 1800s, they lived in London. They are known for their snobbish attitudes and disdain towards Downworlders and mundanes, though over time, they have become more tolerant of Downworlders. The members of the family often have Hebrew or biblical names.
The Lightwoods, as such an old family, have a great deal of wealth. They have lived in London, Idris, and New York at different periods of time, often with high positions in the Clave.
Known members Edit
Living in 19th century London:
- Benedict Lightwood
- Barbara Pangborn
- Gideon Lightwood
- Gabriel Lightwood
- Tatiana Blackthorn
- Sophie Collins — wife of Gideon
- Cecily Herondale — wife of Gabriel
- Barbara Lightwood (1880-1917) — daughter of Gideon and Sophie
- Eugenia Lightwood (1882-1930) — daughter of Gideon and Sophie
- Thomas Lightwood (1885-1915) — son of Gideon and Sophie
- Anna Lightwood (1884-1941) — daughter of Gabriel and Cecily
- Christopher Lightwood (1887-1938) — son of Gabriel and Cecily
- Alexander Lightwood (1900-1971) — son of Gabriel and Cecily
- Grace Cartwright (1886-1940) — wife of Christopher
- Isidore Lightwood (1908-1978) — son of Christopher and Grace
- Catia Monteverde (1909-1981) — wife of Isidore
- Andrew Lightwood (1939-1991) — son of Isidore and Catia
- Phoebe Lightwood (1941-1991) — wife of Andrew
Living in 21st century New York:
- Robert Lightwood (1965-) — son of Andrew and Phoebe
- Maryse Trueblood (1968-) — wife of Robert
- Alexander "Alec" Gideon Lightwood (1989-) — son of Robert and Maryse
- Jace Lightwood (1990-) — adopted son of Robert and Maryse; a Herondale by blood
- Isabelle "Izzy" Sophia Lightwood (1991-) — daughter of Robert and Maryse
- Maxwell "Max" Joseph Lightwood (1998-2007) — son of Robert and Maryse
- Benedict Lightwood brought shame to the family name when it was discovered that he had contracted Demon Pox, an illness only contracted from inappropriate relations with demons. Being one of the most serious crimes in the Shadowhunter world. If it had not been for old friendships with high-ranking members of the Clave, the Lightwood name would have been cursed, and all of the members would have been stripped of their marks and would no longer be Shadowhunters.
- Robert and Maryse Lightwood were members of the Circle; a group of Shadowhunters sworn to wipe out Downworlders and reform the Clave. Since then, they have reformed and allied themselves with Downworlders and the Clave.
- Many Lightwoods in the 19th Century had blond hair and green eyes, while the Lightwoods of the 21st Century have black hair and blue eyes, traits that were inherited from Cecily Herondale.
- The Lightwood family house shown in Clockwork Princess is based on Chiswick House.
- The hostile relationship between Benedict Lightwood and Edmund Herondale is similar to the hostile relationship between their sons, Will Herondale and Gabriel Lightwood.