|Release Date||Late 2015/Early 2016|
|Series||The Dark Artifices|
| Preceded by|
City of Heavenly Fire
| Followed by|
Lord of Shadows
Lady Midnight is the first novel in the upcoming The Dark Artifices series.
Los Angeles. It's been five years since the events of The Mortal Instruments when Nephilim stood poised on the brink of oblivion and Shadowhunter Emma Carstairs lost her parents. After the blood and violence she witnessed as a child, Emma has dedicated her life to discovering exactly what it was that killed her parents and getting her revenge.
Raised in the Los Angeles Institute with the Blackthorn family, Emma is paired as a parabatai with her best friend, Julian Blackthorn. A series of murders in the city catch her attention — they seem to have the same characteristics as the deaths of her parents. Could the murderer be the same person? And her attention isn't the only one caught: someone has been murdering Downworlders as well. The Fair Folk make a deal with the Institute: if the Blackthorns and Emma will investigate the killings, they'll return Mark Blackthorn to his home. The catch: they have only two weeks to find the killers. Otherwise it's open war between faeries and Nephilim.
The Shadowhunters of the Institute must race against time to catch the killers, even as they begin to suspect the involvement of those closest to them. At the same time, Emma is falling in love with the one person in the world she's absolutely forbidden by Shadowhunter Law to love. Set against the glittering backdrop of present-day Los Angeles, Emma must learn to trust her head and her heart as she investigates a demonic plot that stretches from the warlock-run nightclubs of the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica.
Chapter list Edit
The chapters listed below are in its current writing stages, as is the book, and are thus not final.
Part One: Steel and Temper
- Kingdom By the Sea
- Out of the Cloud by Night
Teaser #1(replaced on the site)
The cycle hit the beach and spun out. Emma went into a rolling crouch as she flew free of it, keeping her elbows in, pushing the air hard out of her lungs. She turned her head as she hit the sand, slapping her palms down to roll herself forward, absorbing the impact of the fall through her arms and shoulders, her knees folding up into her chest. The stars wheeled crazily overhead as she spun, sucking in her breath as her body slowed its rolling. She came to a stop on her back, her hair and clothes full of sand and her ears full of the sound of the wildly crashing ocean...
Emma swallowed. She was remembering Julian, two years ago, standing in the overlapping circles of fire where the parabatai ritual was performed. The look on his face as they each stepped into the central circle and the fire rose up around them, and he unbuttoned his shirt to let her touch the stele to his skin and carve the rune that would bind them together for their whole lives. She knew if she just reached out now, she could touch it, touch the rune cut into his shoulder, the rune she had put there...
- The book is set in August 2013, coincidentally the same month The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones premiered.
- The book was originally supposed to be set in 2012.
- The book is set to be told from different points of views, namely: Emma, Jules, and Cristina's, among others yet to be revealed.
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/100428676414/hi-cassie-first-off-i-just-want-to-say-how-much-i-love
- ↑ http://www.cassandraclare.com/my-writing/novels/the-dark-artifices/
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/45930475334/spoilers-the-dreaded-read-more-tag-questions-about
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/452840661038161920
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/486295749366272000
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/94644201804
- ↑ http://twishort.com/8d6bc
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/510811897340649473