|Full name:||James Herondale|
|Age:||17 (as of 1903)|
|Family:|| Will Herondale (father)|
Tessa Gray (mother)
Lucie Herondale (sister)
Ella Herondale † (aunt)
Cecily Herondale (aunt)
(According to a family tree):
Cordelia Carstairs (wife)
Owen Herondale (son)
James was born with the ability to turn into a shadow because of his mother's demonic lineage. Because of this, he regularly faced prejudice in the Shadowhunter society, to the point where he was severely bullied as a child in the Shadowhunter Academy and had to leave. It was during this time, however, that James met and became friends with Matthew Fairchild, who eventually became his parabatai.
As of 1903, James has already met and had fallen in love with Tatiana Blackthorn's ward, Grace. Raised and showered in love, James was not prepared for the pain that heartbreak dealt him, causing him to have suicidal thoughts and tendencies, very much unlike his typically responsible behavior.
One evening, James had gotten drunk and was making dangerous bets with Ragnor Fell, the High Warlock of London. The same evening, he encountered and was promptly followed by Magnus Bane, his father's warlock friend, who, before seeing his gold eyes, mistook him for Will. Magnus brought him back to the London Institute; in worry for him, Will had Jem, then known as Brother Zachariah, called to look at James. Magnus privately tried to ask James what his problem was; while James refused, insisting that he was beyond saving, Magnus later found out during a trip to Tatiana's manor when he met Grace.
James went on to marry Cordelia Carstairs, apparently for some weird reason. Years later, in 1937, James was present at his father's deathbed, where he spoke about Will's fear of ducks and his battle to keep them out of the pond at the family home in Yorkshire.
James is a quiet and studious boy who prefers reading or having fun with friends rather than partying. He is also kind, loving, and good-hearted, as well as responsible, able to keep himself and his parabatai Matthew out of trouble. Upon getting his heart broken by Grace, however, James became suicidal and troublesome, making it a habit to disgrace himself in public and put his life in danger, thinking himself unsaveable. He refused to listen to the advice of others and became difficult to reason with.
James greatly resembles Will, save for his radiant golden eyes. He is said to be beautiful and lovely, his pale white skin luminous and clear, his long, curling black hair normally disheveled.
James has the ability to turn into a shadow, due to inheriting some demon blood from his mother.
- Clockwork Princess (first mentioned)
- The Midnight Heir (first appearance)
- Chain of Thorns (set to appear)
- City of Heavenly Fire (mentioned only)
- James Herondale was named after Jem Carstairs, Will's parabatai and Tessa's former fiancé.
- James is one of the two Herondale boys known to have gold eyes, the other being his descendant Jace Herondale. While James has gold eyes because of his demonic heritage, Jace was born with excess angel blood; presumably because of this difference, the gold of their eyes are of different degrees—while James's eyes were bright gold, Jace's was pale, almost yellow.
- James will set something on fire.
- According to a found family tree, James and Cordelia would have a son named Owen. Also according to the family tree, James died in 1963, at the age of 76 or 77.
- In 2008, after being kept by his mother for years, James's family ring was passed onto his descendant Jace.