|Full name:||James Herondale|
|Age:||17 (as of 1903)|
|Family:|| Will Herondale (father)|
Tessa Gray (mother)
Lucie Herondale (sister)
Ella Herondale † (aunt)
Cecily Herondale (aunt)
(According to a family tree):
Cordelia Carstairs (wife)
Owen Herondale (son)
James was born with the ability to turn into a shadow because of his mother's demonic lineage. Because of this, he regularly faced prejudice in the Shadowhunter society, to the point where he was severely bullied as a child in the Shadowhunter Academy and had to leave. It was during this time, however, that James met and became friends with Matthew Fairchild, who eventually became his parabatai.
As of 1903, James has already met and had fallen in love with Tatiana Blackthorn's ward, Grace. Raised and showered in love, James was not prepared for the pain that heartbreak dealt him, causing him to have suicidal thoughts and tendencies, very much unlike his typically responsible behavior.
One evening, James had gotten drunk and was making dangerous bets with Ragnor Fell, the High Warlock of London. The same evening, he encountered and was promptly followed by Magnus Bane, his father's warlock friend, who, before seeing his gold eyes, mistook him for Will. Magnus brought him back to the London Institute; in worry for him, Will had Jem, then known as Brother Zachariah, called to look at James. Magnus privately tried to ask James what his problem was; while James refused, insisting that he was beyond saving, Magnus later found out during a trip to Tatiana's manor when he met Grace.
James went on to marry Cordelia Carstairs, apparently for some weird, yet reasonable, reason. Years later, in 1937, James was present at his father's deathbed, where he spoke about Will's fear of ducks and his battle to keep them out of the pond at the family home in Yorkshire.
James is a quiet and studious boy who prefers reading or having fun with friends rather than partying. He is also kind, loving, and good-hearted, as well as responsible, able to keep himself and his parabatai Matthew out of trouble. Upon getting his heart broken by Grace, however, James became suicidal and troublesome, making it a habit to disgrace himself in public and put his life in danger, thinking himself unsaveable. He refused to listen to the advice of others and became difficult to reason with.
James greatly resembles Will, save for his radiant golden eyes. He is said to be beautiful and lovely, his pale white skin luminous and clear, his long, curling black hair normally disheveled.
- Nephilim Physiology: Being Nephilim, James is expected to possess a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to him by the angel blood of Raziel in his veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. This includes enhanced strength, agility, stamina, and coordination, which would improve over time and practice.
- Runic magic: Due to the angel blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are all able to apply runes of the Gray Book on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer.
- Demonic magic: James has special "talents", such as the ability to turn into a shadow, due to inheriting some demon blood from his mother.
- Lucie Herondale: sister, with whom he is very close.
- Matthew Fairchild: his parabatai.
- Cordelia Carstairs: his sister's parabatai, whom he will eventually marry for some reason.
- Grace Blackthorn: the cold adoptive daughter of Tatiana Blackthorn whom he is in love with.
- Clockwork Princess (first mentioned)
- The Midnight Heir (first appearance)
- The Last Hours (set to appear)
- The Last Stand of the New York Institute (mentioned only)
- City of Heavenly Fire (mentioned only)
- James Herondale was named after Jem Carstairs, Will's parabatai and Tessa's former fiancé.
- James is a poet.
- James is one of the two Herondale boys known to have gold eyes, the other being his descendant Jace Herondale. While James has gold eyes because of his demonic heritage, Jace was born with excess angel blood; presumably because of this difference, the gold of their eyes are of different degrees—while James's eyes were bright gold, Jace's was pale, almost yellow.
- Unlike their father, Will, and descendant, Jace, both James and Lucie are not afraid of ducks. In fact, James tries to annoy his father by liking ducks.
- James "has nicknames for everyone."
- James will set something on fire.
- According to a found family tree, James and Cordelia would have a son named Owen. Also according to the family tree, James died in 1963, at the age of 76 or 77.
- In 2008, after being kept by his mother for years, James's family ring was passed onto his descendant Jace.
- ↑ James & Lucie, Cassandra Clare on Tumblr.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Midnight Heir
- ↑ Reason, Cassandra on Twitter.
- ↑ Good reason, Cassandra on Twitter.
- ↑ Tumblr post
- ↑ Clockwork Princess
- ↑ Sibling relationship, Cassandra on Twitter.
- ↑ Art and Shadowhunters, Cassandra on Tumblr.
- ↑ Ducks, Cassandra on Twitter.
- ↑ Duck fan, Cassandra on Twitter.
- ↑ Nicknames, Cassandra on Twitter.
- ↑ Something "fun" about James, Cassandra on Twitter.
- ↑ City of Heavenly Fire