|Full name:||James Herondale|
|Age:||17 (as of 1903)|
|Family:|| Cordelia Carstairs (wife)|
Owen Herondale (son)
Will Herondale (father)
Tessa Gray (mother)
Lucie Herondale (sister)
Ella Herondale † (aunt)
Cecily Herondale (aunt)
Early life Edit
James was born with the ability to turn into a shadow because of his mother's demonic lineage. Because of this, he regularly faced prejudice in the Shadowhunter society, to the point where he was severely bullied as a child in the Shadowhunter Academy and had to leave. It was during this time, however, that James met and became friends with Matthew Fairchild, who eventually became his parabatai.
Later life Edit
As of 1903, James had met and fallen in love with the Tatiana Blackthorn's ward, Grace. Raised and showered in love, James was not prepared for the pain heartbreak dealt him, causing him to have suicidal thoughts and tendencies, so unlike his typically responsible behavior.
One evening, James had gotten drunk and was making dangerous bets with Ragnor Fell, the High Warlock of London. The same evening, he encountered and was promptly followed by Magnus Bane, his father's warlock friend, who, before seeing his gold eyes, mistook him for Will. Magnus brought him back to the London Institute; in worry for him, Will had Jem, then known as Brother Zachariah, called to look at James. Magnus privately tried to ask James what his problem was; while James refused, insisting that he was beyond saving, Magnus later found out during a trip to Tatiana's manor when he met Grace.
Years later, in 1937, James was present at his father's deathbed, where he spoke about Will's fear of ducks and his battle to keep them out of the pond at the family home in Yorkshire.
Physical description Edit
James greatly resembles Will, save for his radiant golden eyes. He is said to be beautiful and lovely, his pale white skin luminous and clear, his long, curling black hair normally disheveled.
James has special "talents," due to inheriting some demon blood from his mother which allowed them to use magic. James can turn into a shadow.
- James Herondale was named after Jem Carstairs, Will's parabatai and Tessa's former fiancé.
- According to a found family tree, James went on to marry Cordelia Carstairs, with whom he had a son, Owen. Also according to the family tree, James died in 1963, at the age of 77, or 76.
- He is the last Herondale to have a sibling, because according to the "found" family tree, the Herondale boys leading up to Jace are only sons.
- James is one of the two Herondale boys known to have gold eyes, the other being Jace.
- Clockwork Princess (first mentioned)
- The Midnight Heir (first appearance)
- Chain of Thorns (set to appear)