Jaime Rocío Rosales
|Born:||1995; Mexico City, Mexico|
|Age:||17 (as of 2012)|
|“||He is my brother, but he is— He was born with something missing, I think, some piece of his heart where compassion lives.||”|
Jaime and Cristina had been friends since they were young. Eventually, they decided to become parabatai.
Jaime developed lofty political ambitions. In May 2012, he and Diego were at the Rosales residence at San Miguel de Allende with Cristina and her mother. While drunk, Jaime told Diego of his intentions with Cristina: how he intended to use their shared influence on her and her mother—with Diego as her future husband and him as her parabatai—to gain control over the D.F. Institute, believing that the wrong branch of the Rosales family was in power. He went as far as telling Diego that he was stuck with the harder position as being parabatai with Cristina would mean they are stuck forever.
Since Jaime planned to go away to Idris, Diego meant to warn Cristina about him but never had the chance as she had already overheard Jaime's rants. Heartbroken, she left and moved to Los Angeles. Despite his drunken ramblings, he, according to Diego, still panicked when Cristina left.
Jaime is warlike and fierce, more so than his brother, Diego, for which he sacrifices a bit of his grace. He was also troublesome, often getting his brother in trouble for his actions. He has a restless and mischievous spirit. He plays devil's advocate in arguments. Jaime was also secretive, often disappearing for long periods of time without saying where he was going.
Jaime is the Spanish and Portuguese form of the name James, as well as Jacob, Jamie, or Jacques. James, in turn, is the English form of the Late Latin name Iacomus which was derived from Ιακωβος (Iakobos), the New Testament Greek form of the Hebrew name Ya'aqov (Jacob). Jaime is also be a Scottish and American name, where, as well as in Spanish, it may mean "supplanter; he that replaces".
His maternal surname Rosales was derived from the Latin word "rosa" and is the plural form of the Spanish word "rosal", both of which mean "rosebush". His paternal surname Rocío is of both Italian and Spanish origin, where it means "dewdrops", or simply "dew".
- He owns a crossbow. His favorite weapon is poison.
- He will find Mark Blackthorn annoying.
- He will be "kind of a bad boy."
- Jaime's secrets and motives behind the things he told Diego that Cristina overheard will eventually be revealed; it has to do with him being a strategist, working a lot of angles in the attempt to protect something really important.
- He will have a very significant and important love interest, which will be hinted at in Lord of Shadows.
- He was initially set to be older than Diego.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Lady Midnight
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- ↑ "what Jaime does is more suited to an entrance in book two." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Behind the Name: Jaime and James
- ↑ SheKnows: Jaime and Diego
- ↑ Rosales on Familycrestdb
- ↑ Meaning of Rocio
- ↑ Rocío on Baby Name Wizard
- ↑ Archive of surname explanation Tumblr post
- ↑ Rosales tarot — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Jaime "[finds Mark] annoying." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "He's kind of a bad boy..." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Jaime is a strategist..." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/159664540274/hi-cassie-i-just-wanted-to-tell-you-i-love-your
- ↑ "16 and 18." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Diego is younger." Cassandra Clare on Twitter