|Portrayed by Dominic Sherwood|
|AKA:|| Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern|
Wayland boy (by Magnus)
|Residence:||New York Institute|
|Family:|| Valentine Morgenstern (father)|
Jocelyn Fray (mother)
Clary Fray (sister)
Lydia Branwell (distant relative)
Robert Lightwood (adoptive father)
Maryse Lightwood (adoptive mother)
Alec Lightwood (adoptive brother)
Isabelle Lightwood (adoptive sister)
Max Lightwood (adoptive brother)
|Eye color:||Blue and brown|
|“||It's cute. You assume I have feelings. I don't. Save the apologies for the mundanes. Everyone has a sad song. My mother died when I was a baby. My father died when I was ten.||”|
Jonathan Christopher "Jace" Morgenstern is a narcissistic, lethally gorgeous, determined and expert Shadowhunter as well as a skilled soldier in a war against demons. After his father is killed, Jace makes it his life mission to seek revenge on the man who is responsible.
He was led to believe that he was the son of Michael Wayland—whom Valentine posed as in his childhood—and that his mother died when he was a baby. When he was ten, Valentine faked his death, leading the young Jace to believe he was killed by Valentine and partly because of the Circle's Uprising. Jace was then taken in by the Lightwoods and has since been raised at the New York Institute with other Shadowhunters. He and the Lightwood children have since come to treat each other as siblings.
Helping the Frays
One evening, Jace decided to track one of the shape-shifting demons that has been killing mundanes, and draining them of blood. Alec wanted to get approval for their mission from the Clave, but Jace insisted that it wasn't necessary. With Alec and Isabelle, he followed the demon to the Pandemonium Club.
Outside, Jace encountered a girl who saw him, despite the glamour that would make him invisible to mundanes. His interest was piqued, even more so when the girl continued to follow them into the club. With Isabelle as a distraction for the other demons, Jace confronted the blood-peddling demon; it refused to tell him about his employer, and a fight broke out. Jace kept the girl away from harm's way, and after he, Alec, and Izzy defeated the demons, the girl ran off. Since a seraph blade lit up upon her touch, he became confident that she was a Shadowhunter like them.
Jace followed her and tracked her to her house, where she was being attacked by a shapeshifting Ravener demon demanding the Mortal Cup. He saved her and, noticing that she had been stung and potentially poisoned, took her back to the Institute and Marked her with an iratze. Alec disapproved of his decision to take her in, but Jace insisted. While trying to explain things to her, he was truly surprised to hear that Clary was clueless about the Shadow World, but seemed intertwined with it nonetheless.
Jace then escorted Clary out of the Institute when a member of the Circle arrived and called her "Clary Fairchild" with intent to take her. Jace killed him in his father's name and accompanied Clary and her mundane friend Simon into the Institute, with the promise that he will help her find her mother.
Seen as narcissistic, gorgeous, determined and an expert Shadowhunter, Jace is a natural-born leader and is Alec's second-in-command whenever on assignment with him and Isabelle. Jace is headstrong and often prefers to act first and ask permission later. He is incredibly loyal to his allies and will stop at nothing to help and save them when necessary.
As the adoptive son of Maryse and Robert, he has a fierce love for his adoptive family, especially his adoptive siblings Alec and Isabelle, whom he is seen to be quite protective of. Much like most of his kind, apparently, however, Jace views love and feelings as a distraction from their mission, though he is not completely averse to it either.
Jace is usually sarcastic and humorous, but also has a temper, as seen with his recurring arguments with Alec, and can also be impatient and easily annoyed, particularly by Simon whom he simply cannot get along with.
Skills and abilities
- Nephilim physiology: Being Nephilim, Jace possesses a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to him by the angel blood of Raziel in his veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. This includes enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, and coordination, which has improved over time and practice.
- The Sight: As a Shadowhunter, Jace is able to easily see through most magical illusions and layers of glamour over reality.
- Use of heavenly weapons: As a Nephilim, Jace is also able to handle heavenly weapons, such as seraph blades, with effect that would normally not work for other species.
- Expert hand-to-hand combatant: Jace is highly skilled in armed/unarmed combat.
- Expert swordsman: Jace is highly skilled and proficient in swordsmanship.
- Runic magic: Due to the angel blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are all able to apply runes on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer.
- Parabatai bond: Due to his parabatai with Alec, Jace is able to call on more strength in battle and for certain spells. The runes drawn on him by or shared with Alec also give a considerably stronger effect.
- Stele: A tool used to draw runes onto the skin of Shadowhunters, Jace utilizes a stele to place Marks on his and others' skin, as well as on weapons and other inanimate objects, for varied effects.
- Seraph blades: Standard Shadowhunter weapons that Jace is able to wield proficiently.
|Season One appearances: 13/13|
|The Mortal Cup:|
|The Descent Into Hell Isn't Easy:|
|Dead Man's Party:|
|Moo Shu to Go:|
|Of Men and Angels:|
|This World Inverted:|
|Blood Calls To Blood:|
Behind the scenes
- He is portrayed by Dominic Sherwood on Freeform's Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments. Dom was Cassandra Clare's favorite auditionee for Jace.
- Jace, along with the others, is aged up by a few years and is in his early 20s in the series.
- ↑ ABC Family’s ‘Shadowhunters’ Casts ‘Vampire Academy’ Star Dominic Sherwood — The Wrap, Press Release
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 TV:The Descent Into Hell Isn't Easy
- ↑ TV:The Mortal Cup
- ↑ "They asked me my favorite and I said him." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "I'd sent off the notes that his was my favorite out of them," Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Pilot listing on Craigslist (deleted); archived