|Age:||16 (as of early 1903)|
Grace Blackthorn, born Grace Cartwright, is the ward and adoptive daughter of Tatiana Blackthorn.
Grace's parents died when she was young and has since been adopted by Tatiana, whom she became very loyal and devoted to. Grace also grew to have an unearthly beauty and is implied to possess siren-like abilities, both of which are exploited by her adoptive mother. Despite the seemingly cold persona Grace eventually developed, she loved her adoptive brother, Jesse.
- Nothing but Shadows (mentioned only)
- The Midnight Heir (first appearance)
- The Last Hours (set to appear)
- A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- Grace likes making crown from flowers, leaves, and vines—a hobby she retained from before she was adopted by Tatiana.
- Grace favors hairpins as her weapon.
- According to a "found" family tree, Grace was born in 1886, went on to marry Christopher Lightwood and had a son named Isidore with him, and died in 1940.
- Cassandra Clare once said, in response to a question, that Grace's parents were among the Shadowhunters who died in the emergency Clave meeting that was ambushed by Mortmain's automatons in Clockwork Princess.
- However, since the book was set 1878, it would imply that Grace should have been at least 25 years old, if not older, by 1903, whereas Grace was still 16 in The Midnight Heir, as supported by the family tree that states she was born in 1886.
- This statement was made before the start, or during the early process, of writing The Last Hours, and is thus still subject to change.
- ↑ Grace and Jesse — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ The Midnight Heir
- ↑ TLH character portraits and details — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- ↑ Something about Grace — Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ A response to a question — answered through Tumblr