|Ghosts of the Shadow Market: An Anthology of Tales|
Teaser image by Davood Diba
|Release Date|| April 2018 (first story)|
2019 (print edition)
|Publisher|| Shadow Market Enterprises, Inc.|
Simon & Schuster
Jem Carstairs (teaser)
| Released after|
Lord of Shadows
| Released before|
Queen of Air and Darkness
Ghosts of the Shadow Market: An Anthology of Tales is a compilation of novellas by Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, Robin Wasserman, Sarah Rees Brennan, and Kelly Link. It will comprise of 10 short stories: the first eight are currently being published in e-book format from April 2018 monthly, and the last two stories will be published exclusively in the print edition set to be released in 2019.
The Shadow Market is a meeting point for faeries, werewolves, warlocks and vampires. There the Downworlders buy and sell magical objects, make dark bargains, and whisper secrets they do not want the Nephilim to know. Through two centuries, however, there has been a frequent visitor to the Shadow Market from the City of Bones, the very heart of the Shadowhunters. As a Silent Brother, Brother Zachariah is sworn keeper of the laws and lore of the Nephilim. But once he was a Shadowhunter called Jem Carstairs, and his love, then and always, is the warlock Tessa Gray.
Follow Brother Zachariah and see, against the backdrop of the Shadow Market’s dark dealings and festive celebrations, Anna Lightwood's first romance, Matthew Fairchild's great sin and Tessa Gray plunged into a world war. Valentine Morgenstern buys a soul at the Market and a young Jace Wayland's soul finds safe harbor. In the Market is hidden a lost heir and a beloved ghost, and no one can save you once you have traded away your heart. Not even Brother Zachariah...
For more information, go to the individual story articles. This section is for information whose place in the anthology has yet to be revealed.
- This is a "mystery-shaped book. Jem starts out trying to find out something (about Tessa) and it leads him down a road that winds him up where he and Tessa are in TDA." The mystery that Jem will pursue at the Market will effect him, his family, and eventually the whole Shadow World. This mystery—a complex and intense throughline—is ongoing and runs through all the stories. The first mystery, which is finding out about Tessa's father, will intersect with the mystery of the Lost Herondales. It will all lead up to Lady Midnight, Queen of Air and Darkness, and also to Chain of Gold.
- Some details about Kit's family past and the lost Herondales will be made known. We will learn about Tobias's son and grandson, who becomes a very skilled magician famous in the Shadow Market, in this collection. Kit's mother will be introduced.
- Tidbits about Jem and Tessa and Alec and Magnus' history and family will be shown, which will later play into Queen of Air and Darkness.
- Maia Roberts may make an appearance.
- It may lead into The Wicked Powers.
- This anthology is similar to Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, where it will follow one particular character, but each installment will feature different characters whose stories are connected by one common place. In this case, the collection follows Jem Carstairs (Brother Zachariah) through his life from The Infernal Devices to the time of The Dark Artifices, and the stories are connected by the different times he visited the Shadow Market and his paths crossed with other characters, from The Infernal Devices. The Last Hours, The Mortal Instruments, and The Dark Artifices.
- Cassandra Clare founded the publishing company Shadow Market Enterprises, Inc. to self-publish the anthology's e-books, meant to only be a "one-shot publishing house" for the project, with Gavin Grant, Kelly Link's husband, as project manager. Simon & Schuster will still be publishing the print edition and the final two installments.
- The authors' goal is to publish the collection's first eight installments before Queen of Air and Darkness to avoid spoilers for the readers. During the writing process of the stories, Sarah Rees Brennan sent in a draft that contained a plot point that clashed with one Clare had recently changed in Queen of Air and Darkness. Instead of changing Brennan's version, Clare incorporated the changes and made it work.
- The cover for the print edition will be more like those of The Bane Chronicles and Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy.
- The titles of all the stories are quotes, some of which have been modified, which reflect the tone of each story. The authors of the collection all decided the titles on the same day that they came up with the plot lines.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Cassandra Clare Launches 'One-Shot' Publishing Collaborative — Publishers Weekly
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 First press release | The Bookseller
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Synopsis reveal by Cassandra Clare on Instagram
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/172425984599/qa-various-tda
- ↑ https://mailchi.mp/cassandraclare/mar2018?e=ad388aa038
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Q&a: ghosts of the shadow market — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/173733346144/good-evening-i-adored-cls-even-though-it-made-my
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/174856099074/hey-cassie-i-loved-every-exquisite-thing-and-it
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/171570267284/gotsm-qs
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/171596656289/qa-herondales
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/171843192204/qa-tda
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/173772987204/hi-ms-clare-im-a-huge-fan-of-the-shadowhunter
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/173793932874/ghosts-of-the-shadow-market
- ↑ Cassandra Clare Q&A at the 2017 Frankfurt Book Fair — TMI Source
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/172348058244/hi-cassie-about-gotsm-ive-been-a-little
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/171460793024/qa-various