|“||I just don't know how to look at the world anymore. I don't see street and traffic lights and cars. I see demons and angels. Everything's different.||”|
Clary Fray is the Shadowhunter daughter of Jocelyn Fray and notorious Circle leader Valentine Morgenstern. For years, Clary lived a mundane life with Jocelyn, until the return of her father and abduction of her mother, throwing their lives out of balance as Clary found herself in a journey with fellow Shadowhunters to stop them.
Clary is the daughter of Valentine and Jocelyn Morgenstern, born roughly a year after her older brother, Jonathan. After the Uprising, Jocelyn moved to New York, where she gave birth to and raised Clary, hoping to keep her away from the life of Shadowhunters. Jocelyn's best friend Luke Garroway later found them and integrated himself into Clary's life.
Jocelyn hoped that Clary would have a blind Inner Eye since some Shadowhunters need to be trained to see the Shadow World. However, Clary saw the Shadow World fine, and Jocelyn decided to approach the warlock Magnus Bane. Magnus Bane then placed a block on her mind that removed her memories of the Shadow World and made her somewhat blind to it. The spell had to be recast every year, though the frequency increased as she aged. Magnus had built into her mind a mechanism wherein Clary would begin drawing the Angelic rune once her memories began resurfacing, notifying Jocelyn that it would be time to bring her back to Magnus.
On Clary's 18th birthday, Clary witnessed a group of Shadowhunters kill a boy in the middle of the Pandemonium Club. The next day, Clary is bothered to find that she had filled her room with drawings of strange markings she had drawn in her sleep, and had been drawing almost subconsciously the past few days. Clary and Jocelyn then got into an argument, and Clary left with her best friend Simon just as Jocelyn was about to tell her something, presumably details about their past.
At Java Jones, Clary saw one of the people she saw at the club the night before and confronted him. However, before she could get anything concrete, Clary received multiple calls fro her mother. When she finally answered, she was surprised to hear a panicked Jocelyn telling her not to come home, as well as instructing her to tell Luke that "Valentine's alive and that he found me."
Against her mother's wishes, Clary frantically rushed over to their brownstone, worried about her mother and the strange noises she was hearing. Their home trashed and her mom gone, Clary was then attacked by a Ravener demon. The man from earlier then arrived and saved her, but Clary was nonetheless distraught. With the man, who introduced himself as Jace Wayland, they went down to ask their neighbor Madame Dorothea, who told her that she was a Shadowhunter and that there was a spell in her mind blocking her memories. Simon then arrived and, with Jace, the three of them went to Luke's place, only to overhear Luke telling some men that she did not care for her and Jocelyn.
This article is incomplete and may be considered a stub. It is in need of immediate attention, additions, and/or work. Please help to improve this article by expanding it to give a more complete coverage of its subject.
Clary is of average height, has dark red hair and brown eyes.
- See more here
Behind the scenes
- This version of Clary only appeared in the film The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. She is portrayed by Lily Collins, and younger versions of her were portrayed by Hope Fleury and another unnamed young actress.
- A Pinterest account for the character was set up and launched by Sony for promotion of the film. On it are photos of the 'Clary's art' featured in the film, as well as some photos of the set.
- A Spotify playlist was also made for the character.
- Differences from the novel:
- In the film, Clary is two years older than she is in the books.
- In the novel City of Bones, Clary was 15 when she first met Jace and the Lightwoods and turned 16 during her time with them. In the film, she was portrayed as a 17-year-old who turned 18.
- Instead of dark brown, Clary's eyes are green in the book series. Additionally, her hair was a darker shade of red, almost red-brown.