|Portrayed by Chris Ratz|
Eric Hillchurch is one of Simon's best friends. He is their band's drummer and lets the others use his van on occasion or for band gigs. He is, or at least thinks he is, a poet. He is the cousin of Maureen Brown's friend, Vicki.
Eric was Simon's next-door neighbor, and the two had known each other most of their lives. They weren't close the way Simon and Clary were, but they had formed a rock band together at the start of sophomore year, along with Eric's friends Matt and Kirk. They practiced together faithfully in Eric's parents' garage every week. They also change their band name just as often. Eric is friends with the owner of The Alto Bar, during which Saturday was its all-ages night, so they let Simon's band play pretty much any Saturday they wanted, despite the fact that they kept changing their name and couldn't be counted on to draw a crowd. Apparently, Eric used their band to get girls in their school. He also likes to play Dungeons & Dragons with his friends Matt, Kirk, and Simon.
In 2007, Eric has apparently told Simon that he has turned over a new leaf and now has a girlfriend, Sheila 'The Thong' Barbarino from their school, and they've been going out for about three months, which Clary finds horrifying, even though she had just suggested that Simon ask her out because she sees Eric as a 'sexist pig', particularly when he advised Simon to just "decide which girl in school had the most rockin' bod and ask her out".
Eventually, Eric went back to dating several girls at the same time, and even invited his girlfriends to their band gigs. Despite this, according to Simon, he was at least apparently in love with every girl he starts dating.
Simon left their band in 2009. For his last recording, they made a tribute song, entitled Beati Bellicosi, dedicated to their late band member, Jordan Kyle. By 2012, the band has become somewhat popular, having fans even as far as Los Angeles.
Clary thinks Eric is a "sexist pig" due to his attitude towards dating girls. He is also a military history buff and is usually the one who organizes the war details of their Dungeons & Dragons campaigns.
- City of Bones (first appearance)
- City of Ashes (mentioned only)
- City of Glass (mentioned only)
- City of Fallen Angels
- City of Heavenly Fire
- Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy (mentioned only)
- The Lost Herondale (mentioned only)
- Pale Kings and Princes (mentioned only)
- The Fiery Trial (mentioned only)
- Angels Twice Descending (mentioned only)
- A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
Behind the scenes
- Eric was portrayed by Chris Ratz in the movie adaptation, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. While he was credited with the name, he was never referred to with it in the film.
- In an early draft of the script (specifically a side written for casting) of the pilot of Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments, Eric was mentioned by Maureen as a band member who backed out. He was a bass player from New Jersey and wore green contact lenses. This was not included in the episode.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Vicki mentions on Maureen's blog
- ↑ City of Bones
- ↑ City of Fallen Angels
- ↑ Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy
- ↑ A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- ↑ Lady Midnight
- ↑ City of Glass
- ↑ Official site for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
- ↑ Early casting sides for Clary & Simon