|Also Known As:||Devils|
|“||Demons are beings that serve the Devil.||”|
Demons are inter-dimensional beings who travel from world to world, destroying everything in their path. They return to their dimension when they die. Religiously, they are defined as Hell's denizens, the servants of Satan, but for the purposes of the Clave, they are any malevolent being whose origin is outside of the home dimension. There are many different kinds of demons. Many demons are poisonous and the Shadowhunters' healing rune (the iratze) is ineffective against it.
Greater Demons are an extension of demons and are far more powerful. They must be killed both in their physical and ethereal forms to be forced away from their home dimension. Sunlight and seraph blades are fatal to both demons and Greater Demons. Greater Demons, like all demons, never truly die. When they are killed, they are not simply sent back home; instead, they are scattered in between worlds. It will take a long time for them to re-form and they will be weak for years to come.
Ichor runs in their veins instead of blood. When demons die, they tend to fold into themselves and vanish, generally with a shriek. Some demons leave things behind when they die (ash, dust, fluid, etc.).
Description & AbilitiesEdit
- Main article: Demonic Magic
|“||Demons exist all across the world in their varying different forms.||”|
Shadowhunters use the word "demons" to describe the creatures they fight because Jonathan Shadowhunter used the word based on his own religious history. Most human belief systems have some concept that represents what the Nephilim call demons, such as Persian daevas, Hindu asuras, and Japanese oni. To keep terminology uncomplicated, the Nephilim refer to them as demons, as do most Nephilim and Downworlders.
Demons are not living beings in the sense that is understood by mundanes and Nephilim. They are alien to Earth and are not sustained by the same kind of forces that sustain truly living or even undead beings. Demons do not have souls; instead, they are powered by a roiling demon energy, a vitalizing spark that maintains their form in the corporeal dimension. When demons die, this energy is separated from its physical body, and that body will be yanked quickly back to its home dimension. To human eyes, this disappearance can take many forms, depending on the type of demon. Some explode into dust, some fade from view, and some crumple into themselves. In all cases, however, no remnant of the demon's physical self remain in the corporeal world. Warlock rituals exist that can "preserve" demonic physicality in the corporeal world, allowing one to collect and keep such a thing as a vial of demon blood without its vanishing when its demon source is dispatched.
It is currently unknown what demons want with Earth and humanity, or why they come to the corporeal world at all. Nephilim folklore states that demons are originally from Earth, before they were banished. As such, it is speculated that they are seeking to take Earth back for themselves. The stories also state that demons were destructive and wicked from the beginning, that is why they were banished. As such, they are seen by some as possibly representing the spirit of evil in the world, in some fashion. At an individual level, demons seem to come to the world in order to wreak havoc. Sometimes they come in search of power; power over other creatures, more powerful magic, and the like, but that power seems to have no ultimate purpose beyond its own existence, other than to wreak more havoc upon the Earth. Many have argued for more philosophical origins of the demons' apparent hate for the Earth and humanity; that they hate humanity's ability to create life through sexual reproduction, which they lack. This argument is often used to explain why demons create warlocks; it is the only act of reproduction of which they are capable, and even that they must accomplish by using humans. It remains a mystery why demons come to Earth. From all accounts, they come to Earth to do harm to humanity and they have no apparent interest in truces or treaties. It is believed that demons have an intrinsic hatred of humanity as a result of their envy of the life of the Earth. Theirs, as far as can be assumed, is a dead dimension, a dimension devoid of life, and they seem to desire to consume Earth and humanity to take that which they themselves do not or no longer have. This theory may be further verified by the fact that demons are able to sense the presence of life nearby; in fact, they will often use this sense to track down their prey.
The relationship of demons' bodies in the Earth dimension to their "reality" in their own is a mystery that the Nephilm believe may never be discovered. Nephilim believe that demons have no choice about the physical form they take on Earth, but other than that, their true form is a mystery. The Nephilim do not known if terms like "appearance" even apply in the Void from whence they come. One popular theory holds that when a demon travels to a dimension, a body is created for that demon that can survive in that dimension, and that this is the reason that demons are the only creatures that can move freely between worlds.
Recognizing demons, unless they are shapeshifters, is normally not difficult. Demons always take on monstrous forms on Earth, and can usually be discerned by the uncanny, nauseating feeling that bellows around them like a dark aura. In the rare cases of uncertainty, positive identification can be made via the demon's violent reaction to holy items and places or via a Sensor's violent reaction to the demon. In addition to their general hideousness, demons often carry with them a scent of death that can be very strong. Shadowhunters asked to describe it usually reach for terms like "rotting", "spoiled", "brimstone", "burning hair", and the like. The effect can be debilitating to an unprepared Shadowhunter.
Like other living creatures, demons' bodies are kept fresh by a vital fluid, but this is not the usual red blood of humans. Instead, they contain a supernatural ichor. The term "ichor" refers originally to the golden blood of angels, and comes from the ancient Greek word for the blood of their gods. Demon blood is also ichor, but as it is fused with demon energies, it is black and viscous, thinner than blood but totally opaque. Ichor is not dangerous to touch, but it is somewhat toxic to humans if it gets into their bloodstream via a wound or other means. It is unlikely to harm any Shadowhunter who has the usual range of protective Marks, but care is advised.
Most common demons cannot speak human languages. A large number of types are, however, able to parrot human speech that they have heard. This is often a sign that that a demon has been summoned rather than coming to Earth on its own; the demon will be heard to repeat, often obsessively, words and phrases spoken to it by the summoner or anyone present at the summoning. There are a number of demon languages, possibly an infinite number of them, but a number the Nephilim have identified and that warlocks and, more rarely, Shadowhunters interested in demon research may learn. The two most common are know to demon philogolists as Cthonic and Purgatic. It is considered worthwhile to at least be able to recognize these two languages in their written and spoken forms, and perhaps to memorize a few frequently used phrases, such as "Hello", "Good-bye", "I am a Nephilim", "In the name of Raziel, I abjure thee", "Begone, fiend", and so on.
Despite Jace's claims that they "serve the Devil", there is currently no evidence that a Fallen Angel/Archangel like Satan or Lucifer actually created demons or turned Lilith into the first demon, let alone rule them.
However, with the stories of Raziel being proven true and the legends of the "Devil's" fall due to his dislike of Humanity residing in the Lower Domain, it is very possible that the story is also true to a certain degree.
It is also stated that Lilith created the first demons by scattering drops of her blood on the ground in the land of Edom. This is supported by the spontaneous animation of the blood that was shed from her during a battle with Jace. According to sources made available to the Conclave, demons created after the angelic fall first appeared on the Earth during the travels of Lilith and her partner Sammael, before all were banished from it by Heaven. Lilith is also blamed for women ovulating every month until they can't anymore.
The most immediate weakness of demons is their vulnerability to angelic power and heavenly fire. This is considered their most important weakness. Like the Downworlders they brought into being, they cannot easily be harmed by normal earthly weapons, or at least not permanently harmed. For this reason, the most basic of Shadowhunter weapons are Marked to strengthen them against demons.
In addition to being repelled by direct seraphic energy, most demons can be warded off with holy symbols of all kinds. Very powerful demons, however, such as Greater Demons, may be caused only discomfort by the presence of holy symbols, rather than actual harm, so it is considered unwise for a Shadowhunter to depend exclusively on these symbols to protect themselves.
Like vampires, demons cannot stand the direct force of sunlight upon their bodies. However, just as in the case of vampires, this does not mean that demons are not active during daylight hours. They can stand artificial lights with no ill effects. And unlike vampires, who often attempt to live undetected among mundanes, demons have no need to pretend to tolerate sunlight. It is possible to destroy a demon with light, but the Shadowhunter will need to somehow entrap the demon in a situation were sunlight cannot be escaped, which can be difficult. A seraph blade to the throat or heart is usually a more reliable attack.
One great advantage that Shadowhunters have in their fight against demons is that demons are unable to perceive the difference between mundanes and Shadowhunters, and unable to sense the workings of angelic magic. This enables Shadowhunters to hide from them using glamours until such a time as they are ready to fight them. Demons can, however, detect the presence of other demons and Downworlders.
Types of Demons Edit
According to Cassandra Clare, the types of demons are of infinite number.
Greater Demons Edit
- Abbadon, Demon of the Abyss (Greater Demon) - His flesh is livid and bruised looking. Black, cracked, filthy bones that look as if they have been on this earth for thousands of years protrude from its seeping skin. His arms are thin, and pockmarked with oozing black sores, under which more yellowing bone is seen, and his fingers are stripped and skeletal, with taloned fingers. Abbadon is at least nine feet tall, with empty eye sockets and gray hide that looks as if things are crawling in it. He smells bad, and has a misshapened head and two rows of jagged, glass-sharp teeth. He's much faster than Shadowhunters.
- Agramon, Demon of Fear (Greater Demon) - He shapeshifts into a person's greatest fear and literally scares his victims to death. When "formless," he looks like a black cloud with glowing eyes, a malformed, enormous, hideous shape with eyes the size of saucers.
- Armaros Demon - Its appearance unknown, it spent a millenia trapped in a Pyxis, which was stolen from the London Institute by Nathaniel Gray, who worked for Axel Mortmain. Mortmain freed Armaros and placed him into one of his automatons. He was one of the demons who fought the original Shadowhunter, Jonathan, and was created to be the destroyer of the Shadowhunters. Unfortunately, he is invulnerable to runed weapons. He was eventually obliterated when Tessa Gray Changed into the angel Ithuriel and killed him.
- Azazel - a Greater Demon, and a Prince of Hell, who is second only to Lucifer. He is a Lieutenant of Hell and Forger of Weapons. He was a fallen angel who taught mankind how to make weapons, which is what caused him to fall. The whole earth has been corrupted by the works that were taught by him. He is bound to the jagged rocks of Duduael. If you summon him, his spirit form will come to you but his corporeal self will remain bound.
- Babylonian Beasts - Greater Demons that can also be used as Guardians. They hate petty lower class demons and will wipe them out mercilessly but don't be fooled,that doesn't make them good. These beasts are very large in size, varying from the size of a small building to that of a large building. They have eerily human-like faces that change to the faces of their victims in their last moments of life. Some resemble Hydra demons, having multiple heads that are human in shape and often topped with crowns or some form of jeweled adornment. They can have fur or smooth, tan skin, and always have multiple legs. There are many Babylonian beasts, but only two are famous. The Beast of Babylon is depicted in various different forms, but is always shown with multiple heads, a tail, and four legs. The Conversion Babylonian Beast has the body and tail of a lion, a human-shaped head, and large wings. This beast is often depicted with an Egyptian-like crown with a beard, much like a sphinx.
- Lilith, the Mother of Demons - Lilith was the first woman created by God, and was Adam's first wife. When she would not be subservient to Adam, she left the Garden of Eden and God made Adam a new wife, Eve, from Adam's rib. Lilith was later cursed, which resulted in every child she bore being stillborn. She is mentioned to be a Greater Demon due to her excessive age, and is possibly the progenitor of the demon race. She possesses other worldly powers and is impossible to kill. She is later "killed" by Simon's Mark of Cain when he saves Clary from taking a lethal blow. Greater Demons can't be killed, but what Simon's Mark of Cain did was scatter her between worlds. It will take a long time for her to re-form and she will be weak for years.
- Lucifer - a Greater Demon and rebel fallen Archangel who became known as Satan or the Devil. He is a Prince of Hell know as the Light-Bearer and the Morning Star.
- Marax - encountered by Charlotte when she was a girl. A barrister had summoned the demon, which had subsequently slaughtered him and his family.
- Marbas - He is from the Nether Realms' 5th dimension. He takes the form of a giant, blue-grey lion with white veins across his fur. He has a human torso, arms, and hands. His hands are bloody claws with five fingers and a thumb. He can change men into Legions (mass groups of demons) or spirits, and has a high knowledge of the mechanical and arcane. He answers of things hidden and secret. He was trapped in a Pyxis that belong to Edmund Herondale, whose son Will opened it on accident when he was a child. Once released, Marbas killed Will's sister Ella and threatened to kill everyone Will ever loved. He was eventually "killed" by Magnus Bane.
- Tessa Gray's father- An Eidolon Demon sent by Mortmain to impersonate Richard Gray and sleep with his wife, Elizabeth, a unmarked Shadowhunter, so that she would have a Shadowhunter/demon hybrid of a daughter.
- Yanluo - a demon who killed Jem Carstairs' parents and tortured Jem with demon poison, which resulted in his body becoming addicted to the poison.
Lesser Demons Edit
- Achaierai Demon - resembles a huge, awkward bird. It is an ugly, flying creature that resembles a pterodactyl, with wide, leathery wings and a bony triangular head. Its mouth is full of row upon row of serrated shark teeth, and its claws glint like straight razors. It has no eyes, only indentations on each side of its skull. The wings end in blade-sharp ridges of bone. It bursts apart when it dies, leaving a wisp of black smoke behind.
- Ahiab Demon - A massive scaled demon with a thick, lizard-like body. It's blind and has a keen sense of smell. A thick line of serrated teeth run along its forehead where eyes should be. It has another mouth on the lower half of its face as well, fanged with dripping tusks. It has a narrow tail that glitters as it moves due to it being edged with razor-sharp lines of bone. It has talons and a long, forked tongue with a bulb at the end of it like a scorpion's stinger. It rapes his victims before killing them.
- Behemoth Demon - It is formless, huge and slimy. A double row of teeth runs along the length of its oblong body. It slithers with an oozing, boneless motion. It eats anything and everything, including people. It can teleport, and its mucus renders seraph blades ineffective. It is semi-corporal and very difficult to kill. It can heal its wounds but it seeps its energy; the best way to kill it is to keep wounding it until it can no longer heal itself. Clarissa Fray describes it as "a blind slug with teeth." It creates low noises like angry insectile, chittering when angered and when it is killed, it leaves behind a puddle of steaming green fluid.
- Croucher Demon - Its poison is not life-endangering. This demon lurks in easy to hide places, like behind rocks and bushes. It uses the element of surprise, often stalking its victim by "crouching" behind it before it leaps. It is humanoid in shape, and medium in size; its skin is shiny and black, and its beady eyes range in color between yellow and red. It's not very fast, it plays a game of hot-and-cold with the stalkee by making clicking noises with its two plated tongues; the closer it gets, the faster the clicking. It injects its venom using its clawed fingertips.
- Drevak Demon - It is blind and tracks by smell. They smell rotten, like garbage, and are incredibly fast. This demon is not a fighter. It is mainly used as a spy or a messenger (implying it is capable of human speech). It does not suck its victim's blood. Drevak demons don't have teeth, they have poisonous black spines in their mouths. Drevak poison is incredibly painful and poisonous and should be dealt with by a warlock. A Drevak attack is called a "Drevak sting".
- Eidolon Demon - A shape-shifting demon. Its eyes are black and shiny, and will flash when the form wears down. This demon has to change its shape every 10 hours, and has no odor to give it away. In its rarely-seen true form, the Eidolon is a gray to black wisp of smokish vapor with four glistening black eyes. If you can sense its energy, the energy is sticky and black like melted tar and definitely not human or animal.
- Eluthied Demon - a demon that can take a different shape; it has clustered eyes like a spider's and a tusked mouth. It smells like a marshy slug and can only shapeshift for 5 hrs at a time. It's very slow-moving when biding it's time, but quick to attack it's prey. It has a round mouth like a sandworm, with many serrated teeth. When it's killed, it leaves behind a blackish-purple ooze.
- Hydra Demon - A demon with several heads. It is very hard to kill, and usually used as a sort of guardian. If you chop off one head two more grow in its place, just like those in legends. It can be any multiple-headed animal, ranging from dragon to dog like in form. (The demon is not to be mistaken with the type of dragon known as a Hydra as dragons are wiser, have minimal interest in humans, and most are not evil.) The only sure way to kill a Hydra demon is with a holy weapon, like a seraph blade or holy water, or by attacking its legs and underside. When it dies, it leaves different types of items behind depending on the type of form it has.
- Iblis Demon - Human-shaped but formed of a substance like coiling black smoke and a pair of burning yellow eyes. It likes to surround its prey, but it's not very bright. It bursts into ash when it dies.
- Kuri Demon - Slinking and black. It has two straight tusks coming from either side of an elogated dragon like snout, red almond shaped eyes, and has a mouth on its stomach. Its jaws shoot out and snag the victim after it pulls them to the ground. It's muscular and strong in appearance, with no wings, and it has three long claws (two fingers and a thumb) It is semi-humanoid, with two razor-sharp blades on the end of its elbows. It's chest and torso are humanoid as well, but it's sinewy and black like tar-covered rope. Its feet have five clawed toes, and it crawls around on its knees. It can speak in multiple languages, and is highly intelligent. They can be killed with holy weapons. They lure victims by wimpering eerily and pretending to be a wounded, tailless dog.
- Moloch Demon - Demons who like to fight in groups. They have claws, and flames jet from it's empty eyes. They can be repelled by standing upright firmly and saying "Moloch Moc Og Na" three times; the beasts will hiss and disband leaving a piece of them behind. They are small and imp-like and enjoy taunting.
- Oni Demon - Japanese and Chinese in origin. It has a jade green smooth body, wide smiling mouth with small tusks on the lower jaw, and horns like sharp tusks sprouting from its forehead. It has legs like tree branches, a round belly, and spade-like hands. It is smart and laughs at others misfortunes, often pulling pranks and causing accidents only to cause injury, not to kill. Leaves a coin or stone when it dies.
- Raum Demon - (also known as Gefagnus Taysela) Dead white with scaled skin and a black hole for a mouth. Its bulging, toad-like eyes are hidden in the neck area until it pops them out at you while letting out an eerie shriek. It's arms end in tentacles where their fingers should be; they're grey-white and tipped with blood-red suckers. Inside each sucker is a cluster of needle-sharp teeth. Its blood is black and poisonous. Raum demons are more dangerous than Drevak demons and are incredibly fast--none have ever been killed.
- Ravener Demon - A long, scaled demon with a cluster of eyes set dead center in the front of its domed skull. It has a thick flat snout and a barbed tail that whips from side to side, making a cracking noise like a whip. It has multiple legs and claws, as well as a row of fanged teeth. It drools green saliva that is extremely slimy and poisonous. It can hang off of walls and has a long, sticky, black tongue.
- Scorpios Demon - A demon with a wrinkled face, the agile hands of a huge monkey and the long, barbed tail of a scorpion. Its eyes are rolling and yellow and it has teeth like broken needles. It hisses. It is incredibly fast and very poisonous. It uses its scorpion-like tail as a weapon. It explodes when it dies, leaving its eyes behind, which become blind and turn a cloudy yellow.
- Shax Demon - Parasitic demons with pincers and insect-like carapace. If one is in sight, splash blessed sea salt at it, surround yourself with the salt, sprinkle some on you and shout "Shax! Drax! Carapax!" These words are usually only known to the demon itself, accent the "x" with an extra hiss. They drag their victims back to their lair and they lay eggs in the victims skin while the victim remains alive and conscious. They have a keen sense of smell. They're sometimes used by evil warlocks to track people.
- Spider/Arachna Demon - Has eight pincer-tipped arms and poison-dripping fangs that protrude from its eye sockets. It sprays acidic poison, has venomous, needle-sharp hairs all over its body (which can be used to kill it if you manage to pull them out) and can sprout little black eyes anywhere on its body. It bursts messily all over, covering its surroundings in acid.
- Thammuz - a minor demon from the Nether Realms' eighth dimension. (There are many dimensions; "nether" realms are dark or hellish realms where nightmarish creatures reside) They're no more than three feet high, with pale blue skin, three coal-black, burning eyes, and long, blood-red talons on its eight-fingered hands. They're very tricky, with a creepy little laugh. They can teleport.
- Vetis Demon - has grey skin, sharp teeth, tentacle like toothed arms with eyes and is attracted to shiny things, like treasure or trinkets, which make it easy to distract. Another short demon, at only two feet tall.
- Shadow Demon - has burning red or yellow eyes, just like its name, it can take any form of shadow big or small and can easily possess anyone unaware.The possessed victim is then made to attack the closest person they care for and their eyes are cold heartless merciless and black. The victim will grin eerily and the eyes peer unblinking into the non possessed victim. The one possessed will grab any weapon in the room and corner the other victim. They can turn off lights and come through mirrors, are repelled by red and pink candles (which symbolize love and passion) and blessed sea salt. Hard to kill, difficult to banish, a worthy opponent. The Beasts of Babylon destroy these demons like they were made of flesh, ripping and tearing their bodies to shreds and whipping them across the land. A shadow demon becomes solid in the Beasts presence.
Unknown Demons Edit
- Buzzragorr- huge, humped and massive. Five times the size of other demons, it has an armored body, many limbs, and each appendage ends in a spiked chitinous talon. It has elephant feet, huge and splayed. It has the head of a giant mosquito, complete with insectile eyes and a dangling blood-red feeding tube. It screams like a human and is very, very strong.
- Reptilian Demon - lizard-looking with rodent teeth and black claws.