Cordelia Herondale (née Carstairs)
|Age:||17 (as of early 1903)|
Cordelia has light brown skin, dark red hair, and black eyes.
Skills and abilities
- Nephilim physiology: Being Nephilim, Cordelia possesses a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to her by the angel blood of Raziel in her veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. This includes enhanced strength, agility, stamina, and coordination, which only improved over time and practice.
- Use of heavenly weapons: As a Nephilim, Cordelia is also able to handle heavenly weapons with effect, since this would normally not work for other species. In particular, these are weapons made of adamas and forged by Iron Sisters, such as seraph blades.
- Runic magic: Due to the Angel Raziel's blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are all able to apply runes on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer.
- Basic Shadowhunter gear, including: a stele and seraph blades.
- Cortana: a sword that has been passed down through the Carstairs family, both Cordelia and Alastair have been given opportunities to use the sword, which is in the possession of their father. It is her favorite weapon.
- Nothing but Shadows (first mention)
- Lord of Shadows (mentioned only)
- A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- Chain of Gold (will appear)
- In her childhood, she loved scaring her brother Alastair Carstairs. Her favorite method was hiding under his bed and grabbing his ankle when he gets close enough to reach. They also shared a common interest in architecture and together built castles out of wood blocks, inspired by their last name.
- She is set to be a main character in The Last Hours.
- She, like her cousin, Jem, is parabatai with a Herondale.
- Cordelia speaks Farsi, presumably taught by her Persian mother. She splits her time between Idris, Paris, and London, but will be staying in London with her family for the duration of the series events.
- Cordelia, who is a bit of a scapegrace, as well as spunky and feisty, has a strained relationship with her older brother, Alastair, whom she finds annoying.
- She has had a crush on James Herondale since she was ten years old.
- In Chain of Gold, we are set to find out the weird, yet reasonable, reason why Cordelia and James eventually get married.
- ↑ "Her kids are biracial and were born in what was then Persia." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "17" [when TLH starts] — Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Found family tree, a Clockwork Princess extra (which states that she would turn 18 in 1903)
- ↑ "Cordy!" — a tag on the post by Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "what nickname does James has for Cordelia?" "Daisy." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ Nothing but Shadows
- ↑ "She has light brown skin, dark red hair, and black eyes." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- ↑ "Cordelia Carstairs has ties to Emma Carstairs." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Yes, they are best friends and become parabatai in the Last Hours." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "... Cordelia speaks Farsi", Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "She's half Iranian, she speaks Farsi." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Her mother is Persian." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Cordelia splits her time between...", Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ TLH Q&A — #TMI Tour | Fangirlish
- ↑ "She doesn't get along with her brother." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Because he's annoying." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ The Last Hours character portraits and details — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "when will we find out why James married Cordelia?" "in the first book of [TLH]" — Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "I think the reason they get married is so weird no one will guess." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "It's a reasonable reason." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "... you'll find out why he married her — though I suspect his reason is hard to guess." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr