Charlotte Branwell discovered her pregnancy with Charles in late August of 1878. During this time the Branwells were being investigated for the problems at the London Institute due to the Magister. When Charlotte revealed that she was indeed pregnant, Charles's father, Henry, and the rest of the London Institute were overjoyed.
For months, Charlotte and Henry bickered over a name. Henry wanted the child named Buford, an apparently traditional Yorkshire name as well as his father's, but Charlotte found the name horrible. Finally, after Charlotte became the Consul, they settled on Charles Fairchild. However, Henry still insisted on Buford and the couple settled with at least making it his middle name. He was given his mother's maiden name, Fairchild, as she was the Consul. For that Christmas, his mother's good friend Sophie Collins knitted him a baby blanket with the initials CF in the corner as a present.
For a few years, Charles and his family lived in the London Institute before Charlotte felt ready to move their family to Idris, where she needed to accomplish her duties as Consul.
At one point in his youth, Charles took an interest in Charlotte's work, eventually developing aspirations to one day become Consul like her. Charles grew to become a serious-minded but reliable man, who would sometimes point out in exasperation that Matthew, already at fifteen years, should finally grow up.
In 1901, Charles was told that Charlotte was pregnant with a third child, making him occasionally snap at Matthew when he bothered her. Matthew misunderstood the common, seemingly distracted behavior from the three and thought that their parents were separating. When Charlotte suddenly collapsed one morning during breakfast, Charles panicked and thought that it was due to exhaustion from Portaling back and forth between London and Idris. He and Cook then left to get help, particularly a Silent Brother.
Charles inherited his father's red hair.
- Clockwork Prince (first mention)
- Clockwork Princess (mentioned only)
- Nothing but Shadows (mentioned only)
- Cast Long Shadows
- Every Exquisite Thing (will be featured)
- The Last Hours (will appear)
- Charles hopes to become the next Consul, and so his own father, Henry, gets along better with Christopher Lightwood; nonetheless, Henry is proud and supportive of Charles' dreams.
- He has an interesting relationship with his younger brother, Matthew; whereas Charles is rules-bound, Matthew is a rules breaker, and the pair does not get along.
- He is set to take over the Paris Institute at the end of Every Exquisite Thing.
- He is set to be very good friends with Alastair Carstairs. They are set to have met at the Paris Institute in 1902, while Charles was serving as the Institute's interim head.
- Charles will be engaged to Ariadne Bridgestock, the Inquisitor's daughter.
- ↑ Cast Long Shadows
- ↑ "They also have very young daughters." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Clockwork Prince
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Clockwork Princess
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Cast Long Shadows
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 TLH character portraits and details — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Q&A Alastair stuff — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Henry and Charles have a complicated but ultimately loving relationship!" Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Reimagined TLH characters — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "He and Matthew don't get along." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ TLH snippet — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "She's Charles' fiancee." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Charles' fiancee has had like six names, but I think she's Ariadne now for sure." Cassandra Clare on Twitter