Charlotte Branwell discovered her pregnancy with Charles in late August of 1878. During this time the Branwells were being investigated for the problems in the London Institute due to the Magister. When Charlotte revealed that she was indeed pregnant, Charles's father, Henry, and the rest of the London Institute were overjoyed.
For months, Charlotte and Henry bickered over a name. Henry wanted the child named Buford, an apparently traditional Yorkshire name as well as his father's, but Charlotte found the name horrible. Finally, after Charlotte became the Consul, they settled on Charles Fairchild. However, Henry still insisted on Buford and the couple settled with at least making it his middle name. He was given his mother's maiden name, Fairchild, as she was the Consul. For that Christmas, his mother's good friend Sophie Collins knitted him a baby blanket with the initials CF in the corner as a present.
Charles hopes to become the next Consul, and so his own father, Henry, gets along better with Christopher Lightwood instead of him. He also has an interesting relationship with his younger brother, Matthew; whereas Charles is rules-bound, Matthew is a rules breaker, and the pair does not get along.
- Clockwork Prince (first mention)
- Clockwork Princess (mentioned only)
- Nothing but Shadows (mentioned only)
- The Last Hours (set to appear)
- ↑ "They also have very young daughters." Cassie on Tumblr
- ↑ Clockwork Prince
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Clockwork Princess
- ↑ TLH character portraits and details — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Reimagined TLH characters — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "He and Matthew don't get along." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ TLH snippet — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "She's Charles' fiancee." Cassandra Clare on Twitter