|Chain of Gold|
|Release Date||ca. 2019|
| Preceded by|
The Infernal Devices
| Followed by|
Chain of Iron
| Released after|
The Red Scrolls of Magic (TEC)
| Released before|
The Lost Book of the White (TEC)
It's too bad that Tatiana Blackthorn, the matriarch of the family, has always been, as her father Will Herondale says, "mad as a mouse trapped in a teapot." Since the day that her father Benedict murdered Tatiana's husband, and was killed in turn by a group of Shadowhunters that included both her brothers, Tatiana has nursed a burning grudge against the London Institute and all its inhabitants, especially Will, Tessa and their children: Lucie and her brother, James...
James and Matthew separated, Matthew to dance with Lucie, and James to speak to his parents. Cordelia saw them glance over toward her and looked away quickly; still, she was not at all surprised when James appeared a moment later in front of her, flashing a smile at his aunt and uncle.
"Miss Carstairs," he said, with a slight bow in Cordelia's direction. "Would you favor me with this dance?"
"It's waltz," said Cordelia's mother, before Cordelia could speak. "My daughter does not know how to waltz."
Cordelia bit her lip. She certainly knew how to dance: her mother had engaged an expert instructor to teach her the quadrille and the lancer, the stately minuet and the cotilion. But the waltz was a seductive dance, one where you could feel your partner's body against yours, scandalous when it had first become popular.
She very much wanted to waltz with James.
Will had been sitting on the floor, the rug bunched up under his feet, with his back against Tessa's legs. He looked up when Jem came in, and Jem, in his Silent Brother robes, went over to Will and sat down beside him. He drew Will's head against his shoulder, and Will held the front of Jem's robes in his fists and he cried. It was the first time it had ever occurred to James that his father might cry about anything.
Cordelia was alone in the hallway. Squaring her shoulders, she pushed open the door to James' room.
She had never been in a boy's bedroom before, and it was quite a scandalous action to enter now, but the significance of it seemed small, swallowed up by her worry. James was half under the covers of the bed, moving restlessly from side to side, his face flushed with fever. His nightclothes clung to him, wet with sweat. It was a bright day outside and sunlight speared through the room, illuminating the bowls of burning herbs that Enoch had left behind.
James rolled toward her. His eyes, the color of sunlight, blinked open slowly. "Matthew?" he said. "Matthew, is that you?"
- Though majority of the action will take place in 1903, the narrative may move back and forth in time, covering some things that happened in the "20 odd years since Clockwork Princess" (1878), with chapters subtitled "Time Now" and "Time Past".
- Cassandra Clare is set to release ten short stories revolving around the characters from The Last Hours, including Matthew Fairchild, Thomas Lightwood, James Herondale, Lucie Herondale, Cordelia Carstairs, Anna Lightwood, and more. It will be released online to be read for free. One story will be released each month until the publication of Chain of Gold.
- The book was initially slated for release in 2018. However the release date was switched with Queen of Air and Darkness's 2019 release due to writer's block with Chain of Gold and pressure from Cassandra's publisher.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Cassie's Newsletter-September 2017
- ↑ Likely order — Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "I'm working on Lost Book of the White and Chain of Gold." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "No, Chain of Gold comes next!" Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ Original Tumblr post (removed from post); reblogged post, still with the description
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/159325012584/hi-ms-cassandra-is-the-last-hours-going-to-pick
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/160747016344/will-we-ever-get-more-stories-of-young-james
- ↑ The Last Hours on Shadowhunters.com
- ↑ "2018 probably." Cassandra Clare on Twitter