Cassandra Clare, real name Judith Lewis (née Rumelt), is the American author who wrote the bestselling young adult series collectively known as The Shadowhunter Chronicles.
Cassandra Clare was born to American parents in Tehran, Iran on July 27, 1973. As a child, Clare traveled frequently, spending time in France, England, and Switzerland before she was ten years old. Since her family moved around so much, she found familiarity in books and went everywhere with a book under her arm. She spent her high school years in Los Angeles where she used to write stories to amuse her classmates, including an epic novel called "The Beautiful Cassandra" based on a Jane Austen short story of the same name (and which later inspired her current pen name).
After college, Cassie split her time between California and New York where she worked as a journalist at various entertainment magazines and tabloids, including the Hollywood Reporter. She started working on her YA novel, City of Bones, in 2004, inspired by the urban landscape of Manhattan, her favorite city. Cassie's first professional writing sale was a short story called "The Girl's Guide to Defeating the Dark Lord" in a 2004 Baen anthology of humor fantasy. She turned to writing fantasy fiction full time in 2006, and City of Bones was published in 2007.
She is also friends with several authors, including The Bane Chronicles and Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy co-authors Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson, and Robin Wasserman, as well as Magisterium co-author Holly Black. Hers and Black's books occasionally overlap, with Clare mentioning characters from Black's novels and vice versa, such as Val and Luis from Black's Valiant who were both referenced in City of Bones.
She currently resides in Amherst, Massachusetts, with her husband, Joshua Lewis.
A five-book series of fantasy novels co-written with Holly Black.
- The Iron Trial (2014)
- The Copper Gauntlet (2015)
- The Bronze Key (2016)
- The Silver Mask (2017)
- The Enemy of Death (2018)
- Turn the Other Chick: "The Girl's Guide to Defeating the Dark Lord" (as Cassandra Claire) (2005)
- So Fey: "Charming" (2007)
- Magic in the Mirrorstone: "Graffiti" (2008)
- Vacations from Hell: "The Mirror House" (2009)
- The Eternal Kiss: 12 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire: "Other Boys" (2009)
- Geektastic: Stories from the Nerd Herd: "I Never" (2009)
- ZVU: Zombies Versus Unicorns: "Cold Hands" (2010)
- Welcome to Bordertown: "The Rowan Gentleman" (with Holly Black) (2011)
- Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories: "Some Fortunate Future Day" (2011)
- Cassandra Clare on Wikipedia
- Cassandra Clare's official site
- Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare) on
- Cassandra Clare (@cassieclare1) on
- Cassandra Clare's LiveJournal blog